UC berkeley -OR- UCSD for biology/chemistry

<p>Hi! So i’ve narrowed it down to these two schools… UCB or UCSD.</p>

<p>For berkeley, I’m admitted to Letters & Science. everyone is admitted undeclared, but I’m planning on Chemistry… Does anyone know how difficult it is to switch to CoC (college of chemistry)? Is a Chem B.A. in college of L&S really different from the Chem B.S.? Does anyone know how the GPA’s are in Chem majors (like… do a really small percentage of people get 3.4?) in both CoL&S and CoC?
oh, and, do chem B.A. students take the same upper division classes as chem B.S. in CoC? If they do… I think I will just stick with the B.A… because it doesnt seem that different.
Also, how important is priority registration? Are classes at Cal really hard to get? </p>

<p>For UCSD, I have the regents scholarship, which gives me priority registration. Admitted to an impacted major- Biochemistry/Cell Biology.</p>

<p>I’ve heard great things about bio at both schools, and I’m SOO confused as to which school to choose. i keep changing my mind! T___T I kind of like berkeley better right now, but I’m so afraid I will end up having to study all day and not be able to enjoy myself… since I’m not REALLYYY smart. As someone who is planning on a career in the biology/chemistry field (NOT PREMED) which school do you think would be best for me? I would LIKE a GPA of ~3.4 or 3.5 (just because I dont want to kill my chances for grad school…). Does that seem attainable at Cal for most students (that are motivated/hard working)?</p>

<p>oh, also, is the bio program at ucsd really easier than the ones at cal?
many people tell me to go to ucsd instead of cal if i want a high gpa… but I’ve heard that a lot of premeds choose UCSD instead of cal, so wouldnt that just make ucsd equally strong academically/competitive?</p>

<p>^Honestly, I say just pick the one you think you’ll be happiest at. There’s no point in taking potentially MAYBE SLIGHTLY easier classes at UCSD if you don’t like it here, as an example. You know what I mean.</p>

<p>Berkeley has the better chemical biology/biochemistry program. At least for grad school, and that usually trickles down to under grad.</p>

<p>If you choose UCSD, you better make sure you get that HIGH gpa for med school. If you don’t… then you just lost yourself a cal berkeley degree.</p>

<p>@hermanliu320
That’s a really good point… I havent thought of it that way…
especially since biochem at ucsd is pretty competitive.
hmmm. D:</p>

<p>I’m not trying to say UCSD degree isnt good. Cause it is. But… Its… just… not CAL.</p>

<p>herman, that is a very good point:</p>

<p>"If you choose UCSD, you better make sure you get that HIGH gpa for med school. If you don’t… then you just lost yourself a cal berkeley degree. "</p>

<p>Biochem/Cell Bio is very, very strong at UCSD, and the priority enrollment with a Regent’s scholarship would be a nice help. Berkeley has an amazing chemistry program, and Cell Biology is the largest science major. </p>

<p>You’ve got two nice choices.</p>

<p>Transferring into CoC is 100% guaranteed-- all you have to do is talk to the advisor and fill out some forms. You can potentially do this before you even start (at CalSO), or so I’ve heard.</p>

<p>Berkeley’s chemistry program is well-known; it’s the only university to have an actual College of Chemistry whereas others have Departments of Chemistry. As such, the academic infrastructure is there and it’s arguably the best in the country. For biology, Berkeley’s MCB program is only second to Harvard’s counterpart.</p>