UC Berkeley Portal Astrology Discussion 2023

apparently its true :woman_shrugging:

Comeon. This is the debate going on in the astro thread… We don’t know of it’s true or not coz nearly 40% see forbidden

oh then yeah idk

more lik 30-33 percent. It’s been consistently hovering around 1/3 even as the sample size grows.

On right hand side of page when you go into the portal.

I see. I have two and I got forbidden.

I don’t see forbidden or not authorized. Anyone else have that?? Though, I previously had made an account to take a Berkeley class.

1 Like

I think the consensus thus far is that if you’ve previously needed a cal net id for an external Berkeley affiliated program then you would get neither message.

Oh I see, so no way to tell then?

i guess not with this method

Does registering for Cal Day 2023 mean anything?

pushing this again
https://strawpoll.com/polls/LVyK8eW2dn0/

not sure

Nope. Forbidden and Not Authorized both get access denied. Looks like they patched it from last year

3 Likes

I know we had someone farther up in the thread qualify the forbidden vs. not authorized theory a bit but could some other people with CS knowledge weigh in on what they think this indicates?

1 Like

also - how likely is it that any decisions at all have been loaded in as of now since other UCs seem to do so on the day of?

2 Likes

The 4 addresses/2 addresses was discussed 4+years ago. I THINK that the conclusion was that there was no correlation with address 4 vs 2 and acceptance/denial. Furthermore, it’s been hypothesized that EVERYone has 4 addresses show up at some point, but only for a short period, and there’s a good chance that you might never see it when the 4 addresses show up in your portal. It may have to do with decisions being “uploaded”, but as discussed ad nauseum in 2019-20, there was not any correlation with decisions.

The most technical explanation that I found was from @Max_Chen around post 245 saying:

"I am not the expert on HTTP but I have some CS friends who said 401 not authorized is different from 403 forbidden in the sense that for “not authorized”, it means that the user provided incorrect/nonexistent credentials, and for “forbidden” it means the credentials are authenticated but the user doesn’t have the authorization to view the page requested.

Combining these two bits of information we can postulate that it is likely that they have set up accounts in the CalCentral database for those who are admitted, but they are forbidding them to access the page as of now (403). Those who are rejected/waitlisted do not have an account created in the server, so they get 401."

1 Like

It still doesn’t make sense that 30% are accepted

i don’t think this is accurate. It would make more sense when it’s close to the release date