UC Berkeley & Santa Barbara

<p>Hello,
For 10th and 11th grade (which the schools look at) I have a 3.6 weighted GPA. With senior year, I’m approaching a 4.0. For SAT/ACT, my scores are 1990/30 (composites).</p>

<p>Would it be beneficial to e-mail the colleges now and choose Mechanical engineering as my major?</p>

<p>I understand the learning and growing that comes from being undeclared, I’m simply wondering if my chances to get in increase.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>*I applied as undeclared</p>

<p>in my experience that would decrease ur chances</p>

<p>but idk what the stats are on undeclared, just engineering :)</p>

<p>UCSB - youre in
UCB - Reach -try to raise your GPA and work on your test scores,</p>

<p>i’m gonna go ahead and completely disagree with tommybarsett.</p>

<p>my friend got rejected from ucsb with the same gpa and slightly higher sats last year, and its supposed to be significantly harder to get in this year. </p>

<p>and i would say there’s very little you can do about your chances for ucb, especially because you’re in your senior year, so you can’t do anything on your application anymore. </p>

<p>although you didn’t ask, uc santa cruz seems like a very distinct possibility.</p>

<p>and as for being undeclared vs. picking a major, i know for a fact ucsb does NOT admit by major. so it really doesn’t matter. however, you might be admitted and might not get your major, in which case they pick your alternate major, or you go in undeclared. i’m not sure about ucb, but i figure its probably the same.</p>

<p>Your test scores are above average for UCSB, which is not exactly a difficult school to get into.
UCB, I really dont think you have a chance but apply anyway, it will cost you (something like $60)…I guess you already applied so you know.</p>

<p>you should get into UCSB…submit that 30 ACT score and your gold</p>

<p>The Engineering programs are much more difficult to be accepted into – Letters is Sciences is easier. If you applied to L&S undeclared, it is probably too late to switch to Engineering. If you applied to Engineering undeclared, I would advise leaving as is. Adcoms would wonder why the change a few weeks prior to notification day – plus your app may have already been reviewed.</p>

<p>Cal Eng won’t likely happen unless you are female and/or have overcome significant adversity.</p>