UC Berkeley (Social Welfare) or UC Davis (Community and Regional Development)?

<p>Hello All, </p>

<p>I’m a transfer student (2015) and torn between two majors. Originally I was a psychology major and I was set on becoming a clinical psychologist for people of low income. However, after taking a philosophy (Nature of Mind) course at UC Berkeley this summer, I no longer wanted to focus on psychology, as I realized that other majors fit in to my goals a lot better than psychology. </p>

<p>My interests are centered around helping the less fortunate. In my downtime, I prefer to volunteer at soup kitchens, mentor adolescents, or be with nature and air travel (A LOT) alone instead of going out to parties or even reading books. I grew up homeless along with mentally ill parents that were abusive and I know I can connect well with others that have been through adverse circumstances. My ultimate career goal is still a work in progress, but I’ve narrowed it down to two possibilities:

• Open up a non-profit that specializes in helping mentally unstable adolescents and children (or families) who are homeless or at risk of being homeless (even illegal immigrants). I would like it to be very tranquil; a sanctuary for anyone, really.
  • Go to law school and be an advocate for the groups listed above. (Especially at-risk adolescents)
    …Or possibly both, if possible. </p>

<p>Also, I would love to be a substitute teacher for my local school district for middle and high school kids after as I obtain a bachelor’s, at least for a while. It’s down in the dumps and I left to a different state just to avoid attending. Nothing has changed in the past three years since I left those schools.</p>

<p>If anyone has any experience in either, please give me a tidbit of information! </p>

<p>Thank you a ton!</p>

<p>Anyone? </p>

<p>They are both really selective so, apply to both and see what happens. If you are a CA resident, you should TAG Davis (UCB doesn’t participate). Outside the TAG program, UC admissions can be unpredictable for transfer students. I’d encourage you to apply broadly, including a CSU or two (other than SLO and SDSU), so you don’t get shut out. Commit to the one that feels best next April when you have to make the decision.</p>