UC Davis Class of 2027 Official Thread

279 total undergrads enrolled for Computer Engineering for 2022.

1 Like

how many total spaces do they have for CE ?
is it 279 for CE and 332 for CS?

1 Like

My mistake with the CS numbers, since I was looking at Computer Science and Engineering which is 332, Computer science is 1114 and Comp Engineering 279.

1 Like

Any reason the numbers are very low for CSE when compared to CS last year for transfers? Is CS more popular than CSE?

CS:
Applicants: 1145, Admits: 431,Enrolled: 158
Admit Rate: 37.64%

CSE:
Applicants: 490, Admits: 45,Enrolled: 22
Admit Rate: 9%

How difficult is it for an incoming first year to switch majors? My daughter applied and was accepted to animal science because it said it was on a vet track, but looking at their requirements for the major, they don’t include physics (which is pre-req for vet school) and have some domestic animal classes that don’t interest her as much. She’d be a better fit for animal biology. They’re both in the College of Agriculture and Environmental Science. Are students accepted to that college or that major?

Thanks!

Students are admitted into the College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences. Since the major change will be within the same college, the change of major can be discussed at the Freshman orientation with the academic advisor.

You can request a change of major after your first quarter at UC Davis. Major changes are granted at the discretion of academic departments and colleges, and typically require that you complete program-specific requirements before entering the new major.

Since the majors are very similar, it should not be an issue and she can probably start the process at orientation.

1 Like

Phew! Thanks so much. Of course, she didn’t ask my opinion when applying - I only get pulled in after the fact!

Just an FYI: Q: What is the difference between Animal Biology and Animal Science? Is one better than the other if you’re on the pre-vet path?

A: First off, we are in two separate departments. Animal Science (ANS) is its own department and Animal Biology (AABI) is in the Department of Entomology and Nematology. The Animal Biology Major split from Animal Science in 2007. By 2010, we had tripled in size and have developed the major into what it is today. Essentially, the main difference between the two majors is that AANS is based on agriculture and husbandry and specializes in domestic and farm animals whereas AABI is research-based and does not focus on any one particular group of animals. Explore this site for more information about the ABI major and feel free to visit the Animal Science Major website to learn more about their major.

Regarding being on the pre-vet path, there is no one major better than the other. You can choose any major you’d like and still apply to veterinary school. You just need to make sure you take the required classes in order to apply and get other required material to apply.

@Gumbymom - you’re the best! Reading through the required courses of each major, those descriptions make perfect sense to me. But to an 18 year old that’s never looked at a course catalog, I think they all just looked like fun! As she’s not interested in animal husbandry and farming, AABI is really the better major for her.

Thank you again!

1 Like

Does anyone know how strong Davis’ student support center is? My DD was diagnosed with ADHD not even a year ago and this is an important factor for her decision. Especially for a school as large as Davis. Thanks for any insights!!

1 Like

Does anyone have updated information on cost of attendance for 2023-2024? I am looking at this UC Davis costs page and it isn’t updated for 2023, but maybe I am looking at the wrong place: Cost

These are the UC costs estimates for 2023-24. Not all the campus websites are updated yet.

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/tuition-financial-aid/tuition-cost-of-attendance/

2 Likes

Does it not show on the admissions offer in the financial aid section? I’m under the impression that COA is listed there for some campuses, even if no aid is offered. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

1 Like

Thanks, that was a good idea to look there! I clicked on some things and eventually got to this page: Entering Students 2023-24

2 Likes

Note that UC Davis includes student health insurance in their estimated cost of attendance. If your family medical insurance has providers in the Davis area, you can likely waive the insurance cost.

5 Likes

If anyone’s kiddo is still in the process of making a decision, this fabulous and fun video from Chancellor May gives a great sense of Davis’ culture and vibes. Love him!

2 Likes

At first, we plan to waive the UC Ship, but Davis gave us a generous health insurance grant like $2,900, so it will cost us only $100 for the UC Ship plan.

2 Likes

That’s great! I didn’t know they had health insurance grants.

We got it on the financial aid award. They just posted it last week.

Untitled

2 Likes

I can tell that I :heart: this guy.

1 Like