UC Davis Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

late-ish but accepted!

3.98 UW, 4.33 capped, 4.17 W. instate, political science major. first-year aggie scholarship of $1500. speech and debate 9/11-12, did research with a program, newspaper (12), girls’ state as my main ECs. 7 APs by the end of this year.

6 Likes

D22 accepted Biology. Email came out a couple of days ago.

1 Like

not really sure but 7 kids got in at my school. average of about 4 each year but we are a smarter class tbh. but a lot got waitlisted, including the valedictorian and many got rejected. just have to wait and see i guess

2 Likes

Tweet from Robert Penman, the new ED of Admissions at UC Davis.
https://twitter.com/RJPenman/status/1502550280084209668

"Literally a ball of emotions. Everything went smoothly. So why do I feel unsettled?

Judging by the texts and emails from my UC colleagues, it’s clear I’m not alone. The pressure is real; the spotlight is real. And it’s very lonely. I don’t really know how to describe it. I’m sure a moderator on College Confidential has got it all figured out. :rofl:

There’s a ton of impostor syndrome going on for me tonight. (Many of us 1st Generation college grads struggle with this feeling.)

What I do know is the following: I’m honored and humbled to play a part in the lives of so many. Not just students, but thousands of staff and faculty who depend on good decisions being made in Mrak Hall.

So, cheers to the class of 2026! You’ll forever be the first class to my name, and I can not wait to meet you in a few weeks. But don’t be surprised if I’m just as excited as you are (or more!)."

Go Ags! :cow: :deciduous_tree: :sunflower: :microscope: :horse:

19 Likes

That’s a sweet statement! Thanks for posting. It’s nice to be reminded that the people on the decision-making end of this process feel a lot of pressure and responsibility in carrying out their job!

11 Likes

D22 got in to UCD for bio (we are OOS) but we finally got into Financial aid portion and ouch, we got nothing. No scholarships nothing. 70 K for undergrad is a hard pill to swallow as a parent but I don’t want to say no when she really likes the UC schools. I feel like that is the best fit for her but ouch!

4 Likes

Almost 300k for a major that likely involves grad school? I hope there are other in state options for you to consider.

Congrats on the admit though. It’s a hard thing to talk finances when someone is excited to be going to a specific college.

1 Like

UC’s can be generous for in-state need based aid but little in the way of merit scholarships.

OOS and International applicants should expect to pay full fees that is why so many posters stress running the Net Price calculator as estimate before applying. I am sure she will have other great options from which to choose.

3 Likes

How? We tried and nothing was being sent to the email address. That was Friday night. Maybe it will work today.

Hi, yes unfortunately she has no desire to go to UC Boulder since so many people from her school go there plus we have lived everywhere and she is definitely not a Colorado girl!

2 Likes

We did run the calculations but unfortunately she was really convinced she’d get something. We tried to talk her out of applying but she was born a CA girl and was is really hoping to go back. We shall see how things play out.

2 Likes

Same for me, but I tried yesterday afternoon and the code came right away.

Thank you, I will have my son try again tonight.

DD22, OOS was accepted into biology. No scholarship offers though so over $70k a year.

Her verification code to get into MyAwards ended up in her junk mail and finally worked.

Does anyone have concerns about the superfund sites in and around campus?

https://cumulis.epa.gov/supercpad/SiteProfiles/index.cfm?fuseaction=second.Cleanup&id=0904786#bkground

1 Like

I feel you. We are in-state and even the 40k bill is hard to look at. We expected it, but seeing the numbers right in front of us still causes stress :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

As someone who lives on a Super Fund site in DC- I think people will be surprised how many there are. A lot of people probably already live near one and don’t realize it.

6 Likes

Virtually every college on our list has a superfund site nearby. In a way, I take some comfort from the fact that these sites are identified and monitored. The unknown contamination and pollutants lurking out there may pose a larger risk.

1 Like

I think I’d be more worried if my kid was going to live there more than 4 years. But it is a concern for sure.

2 Likes

At the risk of sounding cynical, this is just a PR release. (First generation grad deciding who gets to enroll, hmmm? :thinking: Sounds a bit of a cliche—like the ones our kids were told to avoid in their college essays. Just sayin’).

4 Likes

New to college admissions and college confidential.

Son applied to UCD in engineering and was wait listed. I’m an alum, and many family members have attended (I know legacy is not considered), so he’s very familiar with the campus/town and was very disappointed in the decision. .

4.0 unweighted CPA, 4.33 capped. Coursework emphasized science (AP) and engineering. Several EC and CS displaying range of interests and talents beyond academics. Not an athlete.

He was feeling pretty bad about himself over the weekend, but then spoke with two of his friends from his school who also applied to UCD ( one of whom was early accepted to UCB as a regent’s scholar candidate). Both also applied to engineering and BOTH were wait listed. Both excellent students.

I don’t get it. Seems like out of 3 excellent candidates, at least one would have been admitted -statistically speaking. None of these kids are disadvantaged or first generation college student.

Is there something I’m missing?