UC Davis vs Reed for CS

DS accepted CS at UCD (in state) and Reed (w/ 23k in grants)

As alums we are familiar with UCD but not the CS dept.

We know very little about Reed and very little about the newish CS degree- we plan to visit soon.

Fit, happiness and well-being are some of my top priorities.
He also values getting to know other students and collaborating with them on programming projects or other novel ideas both inside and outside of classes.

DS is a curious learner who likes learning for the sake of learning. Thrives on free time to delve deep into CS passions and projects. Much more collaborative than competitive.

Is Reed worth $24k more a year than UC’s? Future goals- SWE, start a company, invent. - not considering grad school.
He has also not ruled out CS at UCSC.

I’m not sure he could end up with two schools that are more different. Visiting and understanding the curricula should clarify that decision pretty quickly.

Now, is it “worth it” on a ROI basis to pay $100K more? Probably not. You’d be buying a different experience for him at Reed for that money, but probably not a better salary or list of opportunities.

4 Likes

Reed CS dept is having major growing pains
 they are trying to hire more faculty but next year at least is going to be tight with a couple of professors taking sabbatical. It’s a great school but not sure I’d recommend it for a CS major this coming year. (One of my kids is a current math/cs student).

4 Likes

The Reed CS course listing suggests that many of the courses are not offered every year:
https://www.reed.edu/computer-science/courses.html

2 Likes

Thanks! This is the type of inside knowledge that I was wondering about with Reed.

Yes, I saw the job opening for a CS professor and what looked like almost half of the CS courses are not being offered this year on the CS dept. page.

How do I find out how many CS majors Reed has in total? I worry about it being too small of a peer group.

I believe UCD has about 900 undergrad and at UCSC it is 12% of undergrads. Not sure how current my numbers are.

According to College Navigator, Reed graduated 11 CS majors last year: College Navigator - Reed College

UC graduated 329 Bachelor’s in CS College Navigator - University of California-Davis

UC Santa Cruz graduated 661 Bachelor’s in CS College Navigator - University of California-Santa Cruz

2 Likes

Wow- thanks so much for looking this up.
I know that CS is new at Reed, but 11 is a very small cohort.

I would suggest reading through Unigo and Niche student reviews on Reed and UCD with a generous serving of salt. Without putting too much weight on complaints unless they are repetitive, I felt that I got a great sense of the student body. Reed students impressed me with how their robust and colorful personalities just leapt of the page. Other school’s students generally follow safe, normative descriptions without personality or gusto.

At our visit, my husband and kid noticed a couple kids walking while reading a book, another riding his homemade reclining bike around campus, a flamboyantly charismatic tour guide, and an extremely social awkward student interviewer who very diplomatically answered my son’s question, ‘Is there social pressure to have a quirky, unusual, anti-establishment persona to avoid being the one of the few ‘normies’ on campus?

The devotion to teaching is top notch. The cult of intense intellectual pursuits for the sake of knowledge is de riguer. The physics department is to be avoid at all costs due to a particular professor. The ‘no grades’ policy is circumvented by asking for your grade. There is zero grade inflation and as such transcripts are sent out with an explation that (Edit: in 40 years, only 12 student achieved a 4.0). It is a widely loved feeder for research institutions. Many academics send their kids here.

3 Likes

No, absolutely not. For CS, for any other major, the UCs are better.

2 Likes

Reed also has a math/ cs hybrid major that might not be counted in that 11. There are about 30 juniors planning a cs thesis next year.

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out. The math/cs major is classified under the Multidisciplinary Studies category on College Navigator and had 13 majors graduate last year.

1 Like

We are still working on the pros/cons lists for both Reed and UCD. Any other advice/opinions would be appreciated- especially about the CS major at UCD.

I am completely convinced that UCD is a much better choice. DS still seems to think Reed is more prestigious and offers a better education. Several friends have convinced him of this. I need more data on UCD’s worth -beyond it being ranked in the T20 this year!!

Looks like UCD is direct admit to CS vs. at Reed you need to take a qualifying exam after 2 years to continue in CS - that seems unnecessarily stressful.

My biggest hesitation with Reed for DS, is the idea that it is super rigorous- CS classes seem hard enough - I don’t see a need for non-cs classes to add to the rigor. I would like him to enjoy college- and not have it be a nonstop study culture - non math/science subjects are not easy for DS. I do not think he has any comprehension of just how rigorous Reed is - I can imagine MUCH more so than his HS. He won’t have any time/energy for his passion projects in programming.

I have reread all CC threads about Reed- they have been helpful.

Reed will offer a much better education. You can say that about Reed compared to most schools. It just won’t necessarily be better in CS. They require a a classic, broad, reading intensive education that most institutions have abandoned in favor of technical focus. Whether it’s functionally better or better for the student in question is up to individual perspective.

Personally, I probably wouldn’t pay $100K more for Reed for CS. $100K more for HMC, Pomona, etc. that are similarly prestigious small schools, but with long established CS programs, might be a different story.

What would his decision be if you split the savings with him over 4 years, say $10K/year, with the stipulation you’d invest it in a broad basket of stocks in a trust that would be turned over to him in 20 years? That’ll be close to $200K before he’s 40.

3 Likes

What’s the better learning experience? Sitting in a lecture hall with 300-600 other students or sitting in a classroom with 30 other students?

4 Likes

So some other 18-year-old kids, not one of which has actually spent a day in college, are college experts and he finds their arguments compelling. It’s hard to know what to say. For some families spending an extra $100K on college is no big deal. If you are fortunate enough to be in this situation let him go to Reed. If not, it may be a rocky road ahead.

1 Like

The problem is that, at Reed, there may not be enough CS classrooms with 30 other students.

3 Likes

I’m a retired software developer in the Bay Area who’s worked with several Davis grads. It’s a perfectly good school for CS, but the way you described your son does seem to fit Reed more. I got my CS degree at a small school that had started its CS program a year before I enrolled. I think we only had 2 or 3 professors who were dedicated to CS, while the other classes were taught by math and EE professors. I’m sure we had less than 15 people who were majoring in CS. Reed’s program reminds me of my old program. I loved the small class sizes and going through the program with the same small cohort of students. It worked out great for me. The idea that a big school must be better simply because it offers more classes, more often, is not valid. You can only take so many classes at a time, and if you have to delay taking an elective for a semester or two, it’s not a big deal.

6 Likes

deleted

1 Like

I know a few engineers at FAANG companies and have the impression the most important thing to them when interviewing candidates is technical mastery of the many subjects in Computer Science. The other thing is to show you can fit within their culture.

One kinda chuckled telling me about an interview where the candidate struggled to estimate how many bits needed to represent the number one million (every engineer should know that 256 is 2^8 since a byte is a fundamental CS unit, so 1000 is about 10 bits , a million is 1000 squared, so the answer is 20 bits). And that was a softball question. They’ll ask you to invert a binary tree or use Dijkstra’s Algorithm on a whiteboard. The ones they love are the ones that write compilers on their own just to see.

2 Likes

What mikemac says about tech interviews is generally true. They’re trying to find out your technical skills and whether you’ll fit the company culture. But you can certainly go to a small school to learn the technical stuff, and some people will do a better job learning it in a small school, small department environment.

1 Like