Uc gpa.

<p>I know that the UC’s calculate their “UC GPA” based on the applicant’s 10th-11th grade grades.</p>

<p>However, what happens if something out of the ordinary happens during those years?</p>

<p>For example, I attend a boarding school, but during my sophomore year, I had to get surgery on my right wrist. I live about 200 miles away from my boarding school and due to recovery/medications/routine check ups, I missed about a full month of school and also many days after (if the appointment was on friday, I’d have to leave thursday, missing school thursday and friday). </p>

<p>Not only that, my right hand is my writing hand, and doing any kind of homework in an environment(boarding school) where you are expected to do everything yourself is nearly impossible. I had the cast for about 3 months, where I was completely disabled. </p>

<p>Missing a full month of school probably would have caused me to get many Incompletes or F’s/D’s, but I still maintained a 3.1 GPA my sophomore year. </p>

<p>Due to that, my junior year I was (by school standards) ineligible for AP classes, but I maintained a 3.8 unweighted GPA. </p>

<p>My senior year so far, I stacked up my schedule with 4 AP classes, an Honors Class and an additional college course, and I currently (just based on senior year) have a 4.6 UC GPA.</p>

<p>I feel very disadvantaged, especially since the UCs dont accept counselor letters to provide more insight on my situation. </p>

<p>What would the UCs do in this case? Would they completely dis-count my sophomore year?
I’m applying to UCLA/UC Berkeley. I have really solid ecs and a 2100 SAT (taking again in january, hoping for 2150+). Would this completely break my application? </p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>I’m pretty sure they would still count your sophomore year and junior year GPA’s into your UC GPA for what they are.
I mean, think about the hundreds of sophomores and juniors whose parent died, homes were lost, or were diagnosed with a chronic condition. And these students pretty much have to live with the GPA they earned.
The most you can do is make sure you let them know what caused your low grades through your essays. I mean really illustrate the problem, but don’t make it sound like you’re complaining.
Hope I helped :)</p>

<p>Yeah, I guess that’s true. And I explained my situation in my essays. I think my essays were pretty solid too. </p>

<p>I don’t want to sound like an arrogant prick or anything, but how could it be fair for us students with these kinds of situations to keep up our grades. Especially for me; it was physically impossible because I could not, under no circumstances be at school to take tests, partake in class, etc because I went to a boarding school. Thanks for listening to my ranting lol.</p>

<p>^ Well, yes, I guess its not fair. But that what that one section in the application is for right? And the essays. If you explained it well enough in your essays, and as long as they’re not pity me stories then I’d think you have a fair chance.</p>