UC Irvine Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

Your son switched from Materials to Mechanical (easily) at UCI? This is good to hear, do you mind me asking how long he was at UCI before switching and will it or did it result in his graduation date going beyond 4 years?

1 Like

My son will be there for this. We are from NJ

2 Likes

After reading the stats here, I guess D is considered lucky to not have been rejected by all 5 of the UCs she applied to?? She was a bit sad that she is WL by UCSD, her 1st choice. She has been accepted by UCI, UCR, and UCSC; WL by UCSD and UCLA. GPA: 3.9/4.4

I think the edge has to go to UCLA. UCI is amazing. My son is going to go there in the Fall…BUT if you can graduate from UCLA I think you need to encourage her to go there. It will forever open doors a little faster and a little wider in the future.

2 Likes

He switched after his freshman Year. It did not delay graduation as the courses he took for Materials over lapped with Mechanical. In fact he graduated in 31/2 years as he had lot of AP’S that gave him credit for GE’s.
https://catalogue.uci.edu/thehenrysamuelischoolofengineering/departmentofmechanicalandaerospaceengineering/mechanicalengineering_bs/#sampleprogramtext

https://catalogue.uci.edu/thehenrysamuelischoolofengineering/departmentofmaterialsscienceandengineering/materialsscienceandengineering_bs/#sampleprogramtext

Appreciate the reply, thank you! :slight_smile:

does anyone know when the honors college UCI tour is?

2 Likes

Anyone know when financial aid releases?

Per the UCI webinar 6-7pm today, ‘Financial Aid packages wil be available soon, students will be notified via email once it is available.’ …believe they said 7-10 days, if I remember correctly.

3 Likes

Is anyone planning to attend the April 15-16 OOS Admitted Student Day(s)? An evening beach session doesn’t sound so bad! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Just an fyi from a uci zoom meeting for admitted students. This years cycle had a 17% acceptance rate. Crazy

8 Likes

Any idea if there is a replay ? We missed it live

DD admitted previously to UCI to undeclared with 4.2 weighted. Trying to understand if she chooses to pursue business, can she do that from undeclared or is that an impacted major at UCI and not possible? That would influence where she ultimately decides to go. We were going to ask at the April 16 admitted students day but I thought I’d ask here in case anyone has knowledge/experience. Could not find that easily on website.

Students must meet BOTH requirements:

• 2.70 GPA Cummulative

• 2.00 GPA for the quarter prior to changing major.
    Course grades Students must complete ALL of the following requirements:

• Completion of Mathematics 2A-B

• Completion of Economics 20A-B or Management 4A-B

• Management 7, 30A, 30B

• An average 3.00 GPA in all required management courses completed at the time of application.

• Applications for change of majors will be processed quarterly. Please be advised that completion of the prerequisite courses does not guarantee admission into the major; space is very limited. Please consult the Merage School directly with additional questions:ugprograms@merage.uci.edu, 949.824.9426; SB2 Suite 202.

1 Like

Did you get anything that allowed you to register for the in person event? Daughter checked portal and all we see is virtual events. Very confused.

We received a postcard in US postal mail for April 16. It’s an admitted student day. Haven’t registered anywhere so far.

With all the emails coming to admitted students, things sometimes get lost in the pile. We found on-campus events through here:

Thanks, I clicked on your link and it is for OOS students. We are in state, northern CA. I have booked a hotel and we plan to visit but it’s strange because we have not registered for anything. She went through all of her emails and there’s nothing. No postcard either. Portal doesn’t have anything for a live in person event, but it’s interesting that the link for OOS does have information on a live event.

We registered for the in person event. In the portal click on events.
Also, FYI, we went to an admitted students reception in the SF Bay Area yesterday. They had a slide showing 119,197 first year applicants this year and they offered 20,443 spots. This is 17%. Of those offered spots they said 12,000 are California residents. Zot zot!