UC Irvine Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

@KSD4 You might need to be logged into your applicant portal for the link to work.

are you trying the link gumbymom sent or the one on post 10?

1 Like

I don’t have an error either (Applicant for context).

that’s what it says when I click register

Gumbymom’s link.

I am a parent of an applicant and don’t have her login information and I can get to the site- so it is no indication of admittance…

1 Like

It was a browser issue - Chrome not working, Firefox works fine. Lots of options but not a lot of detail, April 16 in person event for admitted students. I assume more detail will come in an actual invite should we make it that far.

2 Likes

Yes, I noticed the same thing with Chrome earlier this week. I can’t seem to find an in-person admitted student event for UCI. Has anyone else?

I am using Chrome and this link works for me (in-person admitted day on April 16th):

https://admissions.uci.edu/admitted/index.php

2 Likes

Thank you! The “register” links seem to go back and forth between two web pages without the registration feature being available. Is that happening for you as well?

I updated this post with all of the UC open houses.

3 Likes

This forum popping off just rose my anxiety for a second lol

10 Likes

We are OOS and not super familiar with UCI. Son put it on his list because they have a seemingly good Urban Planning program. It’s hard to get a read in the school for us. Is it a commuter-school? All the professors in the Urban Planning and Policy school have PhDs from prestigious schools but wondering if they are good teachers or just good researchers. I understand you won’t have details on this specific program but anyone with general advice on UCI would be appreciated. Why did you apply? What is attractive about it? Thanks!

I don’t know much about that program but UCI, in general, is an excellent school. Most students live in university owned housing their first couple of years. The surrounding community is very safe for a school in an urban setting.

The “commuter” feel is because many local students go home on the weekends. While some schools are more lively on the weekends, UCI tends to be more quiet.

7 Likes

You might poke around on the website and look for which professors are teaching which courses then look up their reviews on Rate My Professor. RMP reviews are similar to Amazon reviews and you should take some with a grain of salt, but it will give you an idea of whether the professors are good teachers as well researchers. This page shows which courses are offered each quarter. Note that some are only offered once a year.

1 Like

We live in Los Angeles (an hour away from UCI) and for some reason the kids at my daughters’ school generally have limited interest in UCI. Not sure why and i had to force my D to “check the box” on the UC app for UCI. It’s on par with UCSB and UCSD academically but for whatever reason it seems to be relatively out of favor in West LA. I think there is a perception that its not fun and has a large commuter % but i hear kids live at the beach in Newport Beach, and its hard to get much nicer than that. UCSD is also close to the beach in La Jolla but also not perceived as very fun. UCSB on the other hand … maybe too much fun!

7 Likes

One of my parents went to UCI and lived on the beach in Newport Beach for four years in the late 80’s/early 90’s (was there for 5 years because they picked up a double major their last year). They said they were surrounded by other college students in Newport Beach and it was one of the most fun times of their life. Apparently, back then UCI was known even more as a commuter school, but my parent said they never got that feeling, as the dorms were always full on the weekends and there was plenty of social life.

4 Likes

Irvine is one of the best cities in America. Very clean, beautiful roads and infrastructure, and safe. It is close to Liguna Nigel beach, which is gorgeous and not too far from San Diego, Disneyland, and the greater Los Angeles area. I would love for my son to go there, but they are very tough to crack based on enrollment from his specific high school.

13 Likes

Thank you! That is great advice.

1 Like

We live in Los Angeles and ditto to everything you said! Most kids don’t even consider UCI. Many apply to UCSD and UCSB. I’m not sure why they don’t apply to UCI. Maybe it’s too close to home? But that doesn’t stop them from applying to UCLA.

3 Likes

I have a 3rd year student at UCI (she’s an RA and campus Rep/Tour guide)…in addition to a F22 applicant. We are California residents.
I would classify UCI as having a good mix of commuters (1st year students must live on campus), international students and OOS students.
It’s a fantastic campus surrounding a large park (Aldrich Park) in the center with ring roads around that. The location is great, research heavy, graduation in 4 years very doable, with nice housing and community.

10 Likes