UC nonresident admissions soar

<p>The number of non-Californians accepted as freshmen to the state’s premier public university has nearly doubled in just two years, the University of California reported Tuesday. </p>

<p>New admissions data show that UC has steadily increased its freshman admission offers to students from other states or nations, with nearly a quarter of all those admitted this fall - 23 percent, or 18,846 students - coming from elsewhere. Two years ago, just 14 percent of offers went to non-Californians, or 9,552.</p>

<p>Nonresidents pay nearly three times the tuition and fees of in-state students - about $36,000 compared with $13,000 - a tantalizing prospect for a university that has seen its budget cut by about a billion dollars during the last few years. </p>

<p>As cuts continue to rain down from Sacramento, UC has accepted more of these higher-paying students as part of its strategy.</p>

<p>It’s a sensitive subject in California, where the perception is that carpetbaggers are displacing residents. </p>

<p>Even Gov. Jerry Brown weighed in after a speech Tuesday, saying, “I don’t like that at all,” when a reporter asked what he thought of the influx at UC.</p>

<p>Read more: [University</a> of Calif. nonresident admissions soar](<a href=“http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/04/17/MN291O4J7L.DTL#ixzz1sPORFFpY]University”>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/04/17/MN291O4J7L.DTL#ixzz1sPORFFpY)</p>

<p>Bad for CA residents, good for the other 49 states & rest of the world.</p>

<p>One might fear further cuts in state funding as the UCs admit more non-residents. A vicious circle.</p>

<p>This makes me very sad. I graduated from UCSD back in ancient times (1987) and if you were a CA resident, you could’ve gotten in easily with a 3.2 GPA and a couple of good extra-curriculars. Kids from out-of-state basically had to get in line behind the resident kids - which is how it should be.</p>

<p>Get ready for it to continue. In VA we see kids that can’t get into one of the two flagships–UVA and Virgnia Tech have no issue getting into Penn State, Clemson, etc and continually hear about increasing number of out of state students admitted to VA schools. I wouldn’t be surprised to hear the same taking place in PA, SC, and Ohio, wher in-staters are being displaced by VA students. I don’t think Penn State and Clemson, etc are any less selective (ok, UVA is well known as selective, but it is off the charts now) In my opinion this is a budget balancing move on the parts of universities to get more revenue. Contrast that with UNC–Chapel Hill–virtually no out of staters and proud of it.</p>

<p>I think the term “public university” will go by the wayside pretty quickly if this continues. Might as well make call all colleges now a days private with the level of state funding that they get</p>

<p>Great for the UC system for letting in more out of state kids. Personally, I think most public universities should look to accept more OOS kids and not only due to monetary reasons. OOS students add diversity and a different viewpoint. My alma mater, Grand Valley State University in Michigan is increasing the OOS pool, and I think it has a positive effect on the school. In Michigan, the well known flagship is the University of Michigan. Part of the appeal and prestige of the University of Michigan is the amount of OOS students that attend. As for displacing kids and other complaints, when the flagship “displaces” students they end up improving other colleges in the state (University of Michigan has helped improve Grand Valley State University and Michigan State University in the past decade).</p>

<p>UNC is 18% out of state for firstyear admits. There is no cap on transfers; last year the accepted transfers were about 40% of the admissions offers.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I may be lost. How exactly does accepting more OOS “help” other state unis? Is this because the in-staters that would have attended the flagship would then attend the other state uni? I think there would be a lot more variables to it than that. For example some students with good enough college options just might ironically choose an OOS school if they were not accepted to their state flagship. How does that hurt a state flagship and a lesser state uni? I’m not quite sure since I don’t see the correlation of how it can help either.</p>

<p>And 10 years is an extremely short amount of time in terms of college operations. That’s only 2 full classes from Freshman to Senior year. I can see there is room for contribution from an implied “great stat” student that would have otherwise attended the flagship, but only 2 cycles of that won’t exatly create leaps and bounds in percieved improvement - however the heck you’d even measure that.</p>

<p>I would propose that while OOS and Int’l students may offer a variety of experiences to share with the student body, a State funded school should have an obligation to those who live in the state and therefore actually fund it. Want to see other experiences from other national areas or cultures? Go on a summer road trip or study abroad, I guess. Not everyone can afford that sort of thing, but hey, not every student can afford to go to another school besides their flagship either.</p>

<p>I’m all for accepting OOS students if the state funded colleges have the extra capacity. But if this means displacing qualified, in-state students, then I’m not sure it is fair to the students/families that have been supplementing the education of these students through their taxes and not being offered admission to these state colleges.</p>

<p>What really made me mad was that, last year, the UC GPAs and test scores were lower for the OOS admitted group than for the in-state admitted group.</p>

<p>Well turtlerock is a lot different than California or whichever state you reside in right now. In Michigan as well as many other lower per capita income states the prospective college students mostly stay in state. Therefore, when they are rejected to the state flagship, University of Michigan, whether it is due to grades or out of state students or whatever the case may be, they typically end up at another Michigan state college whether it is Grand Valley State University or Michigan State University or other Michigan state colleges. Therefore, they increase the G.P.A. and A.C.T. and prestige of the other colleges. Also, when GVSU or any other college increases out of state students and keep the size of the freshmen class at the same size as previous years, it decreases the acceptance rate for that college. Next, more students apply and consider that college desirable in future admissions cycle and then the acceptance rate goes down even more for the college. In addition, the college increases its prestige which helps it’s rating in the U.S. News and World Report and other ratings. Then, in the future the college’s degree is worth more and looks better to future employers and graduate schools. Furthermore, with states like Michigan that have had a decent amount of migration out of the state, it is important to find out of state students to fill the seats of the college.</p>

<p>Also turtlerock most “state funded” colleges aren’t really “state funded” anymore. After years of state cuts the colleges need to go elsewhere to get money. In Michigan, most of the colleges are now de facto private colleges. Therefore, they should be able to find as many out of state students as they want. Furthermore, I’m not advocating that colleges go to 90% OOS or anything like that, I’m saying that instead of being 94% in-state, GVSU should be ~80% in state.</p>

<p>@ siliconvalleymom - Really? I didn’t know that.Do you have the source?</p>

<p>Last year on a tour at UCLA, the tour guide flat out said they were admitting more out of state and foreign students because they pay more and they need the money. I understand that, but not at the expense of passing up excellent CALIFORNIA residents.</p>

<p>I completely agree with Jerry. The sole purpose of the land-grant universities in California was SUPPOSED to be to provide this state’s children with an affordable education. Now, my kids are expected to have HIGHER GPAs, SATs, etc. than the full fare OOS. With the present financial crisis, middle class parents, who are still expected to foot the bill for their offspring, receive NO financial aid of any sort (apart from Stafford loans) for their kids. I am expected to pay MORE for a public education than if my son attends PRIVATE universities here in California where he has been offered full tuition/fees aid. For three generations my family members have attended UC (principally Berkeley) and now–less than a decade after my oldest daughter graduated from Cal, her little brother cannot even afford to attend a UC without taking out loans in the amount of approximately $30K per year. Jerry Brown gets that this is a crisis. He is a Golden Bear, also educated on the promise of the land-grant institutions, which are now fully at risk.</p>

<p>I go to UCB with mediocre grades and test scores. My oldest gets into most UC’s 5 years ago with OK grades and OK test scores. Mid kid has good grades and good test scores and gets into most. This year our youngest with good grades and awesome test scores gets into not one he applies to including UCSC. As a taxpayer this is infuriating. I also have empathy for California high school counselors next year as I have no idea what they tell kids.</p>

<p>^ You know how UC does have guaranteed admission for the top 9% either from the high school or statewide to at least ONE of the campuses? I realize it would likely be Merced, but he at least could start there and transfer if he really wants UC. I am totally on the same page as you. Barely controlled rage.</p>

<p>ditto. Each year I watch the GPA requirements rise for the same education.</p>

<p>My husband, a UCDavis grad, realizes that he couldn’t get admitted any longer to his alma mater, and he had a 3.9! </p>

<p>None of my 2 kids approach that GPA, but they are between 3.5 and 3.75, and they really only have 2 UCs to choose from. I think UCRiverside and UC Merced are actually great schools, but it would be nice to have more options.</p>

<p>

As long as a school receives a dime of public funds it is technically still considered a public institution, de facto private or not, and so it’s first obligation should be to those who fit their bill.</p>

<p>I guess in Michigan you’re okay with getting taxed to fund private schools?</p>

<p>My son only applied to one UC, and got in (Santa Barbara). We’re CA residents. He chose a private university though, where he received great merit aid. But this OOS 23% thing sill makes me furious. A NMS student at his school got shut out of Cal &UCLA. Born in CA, parents paying state taxes all these years. I say let the OOS in…after every top CA student has been offered a spot.</p>