UC nonresident admissions soar

<p>Of all the realistic options, admitting out of state <em>qualified plus</em> and full paying students is the most palatable, up to a point. The rate of admission should always favor in-staters. {The excellent UVA admitted class is one third out-of state, or some such.}
Out of state students do add to the student body, and are themselves an asset, not only the kind that shells their own assets. When we speak of the superb and selective privates, we extol their international character and geographic diversity. As long as the academic selection does not lower the bar, this is the best of the less than perfect options, because unlike the other options (taxes, cost cutting) this is the only option that in fact improves the quality of our universities.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>One would think so, as would logic and simple math. But the spinmeisters at UC HQ say, No. hahahahahahaa</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Well they just say that they have no visa or an expired visa, i.e., here illegally. Bingo, no further questions asked. Anyone can obtain intstate tuition as long as they meet the residency requirement.</p>

<p>^ Which is?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Well it’s either break its word and get rid of the problem in one go (yank off the bandaid), or kick all the pain to the next generation in grindingly persistent fashion. I don’t live in Cali so this isn’t personal for me, but it does like an incredibly selfish demand by Californian pensioners. With property taxes so low - again, primarily a benefit targeted towards pensioners - retirees in the state can afford cuts more than anywhere else. Besides, I’m not talking about slashing 20k pensions to 15k. Does the state really need to offer packages that pay out enough to put retirees near or in the 1%?</p>

<p>[Berkeley</a> Taxpayers Are Sick of Paying the Exorbitant Salaries of Some City Employees - Berkeley, CA Patch](<a href=“http://berkeley.patch.com/articles/berkeley-city-council-berkeley-city-employees-exorbitant-pensionsthe-taxpayers-of-berkeley-fed-up-with-paying-the-exorbitant-salaries-of-city-employee-executives#comment_2699792]Berkeley”>http://berkeley.patch.com/articles/berkeley-city-council-berkeley-city-employees-exorbitant-pensionsthe-taxpayers-of-berkeley-fed-up-with-paying-the-exorbitant-salaries-of-city-employee-executives#comment_2699792)</p>

<p>^ That took about 2 seconds to find on google, by the way. So no, I’m not fishing for examples.</p>

<p>Bluebayou - everything I have read shows that it’s very difficult to obtain “residency” for tuition purposes at the UC schools. The actual residency requirement is easy, it’s the “financial independence” requirement that gets most students. I’ve researched this when my D was considering UC schools (we are OOS). The requirements at the state schools and community colleges are different. I’ve even run across a lawsuit where a young women living in CA and going to a cc was getting in-state tuition. She transferred to USCD and they denied her in-state tuition because eventhough she was working and had loans, her OOS parents were sending her some money. Of course, if you are here illegally but went to a CA high school, you can get in-state tuition. Just saying…</p>

<p>From 2008 - 2011, the state cut it contribution to the UC budget from 3.2 Billion to 2.3 Billion, even as the number of students increased. </p>

<p>It will only get worse, as California simply has way too much Government infrastructure and regulation, way too many social costs which have spun out of control with waves of illegal immigration the last few decades, crushing public employee obligations including long term pension obligations which some estimate at 700 billion, and an educational system which is at the top nationwide in per student spending but ranked 48th or 49th in achievement, meaning “good luck” in counting on productivity and innovation gains to put California back on its economic feet. </p>

<p>This is NOT an invitation to politicize the issues. Rather, it is a recitation of the facts and the status quo today. It is not a pretty picture, and the changes which will come will be very hard to accept. It blows my mind that middle class people in California can actually find “better” deals at private schools today (in some cases) than at the UC system. </p>

<p>The Weekly Standard just ran a balanced article on UC Merced. (For the Weekly Standard, surprisingly so). It made me want to root for the students at this school. But the fiscal realities are crushing. Professors at other UC schools have made the point that in difficult budget times the state cannot afford another “research” university. My guess is that they are right, and indeed, the UC system might be better off it pared down research university status to UCLA, Cal-Berkeley, Davis (ag and medical research saves it), and UC San Diego. The point is that the regents could take this action now or have someone do it for them. Given the vested interests, I think the latter course is what will happen.</p>

<p>Don’t grants to researchers bring in overhead money? It was always my impression that the liberal studies departments were the big drain on finances. Researchers teach and bring in money. How would demoting UCM/UCR/UCSC/UCSB to 100% teaching save money?</p>

<p>What up guys, you all seem to know your UC schools so i gonna put my stuff out there, my dream school UCSB…</p>

<p>I’m out of state but my high school ranks in the top 75 public high schools in the country.</p>

<p>I have a 3.4 UC gpa but that includes 2 APs and 4 honors classes</p>

<p>Lots of extra ciric stuff and really good recommendations</p>

<p>I’d appreciate any feedback based on all that stuff.</p>

<p>Completely off topic. Get lost.</p>

<p>wow, that’s great…
you know what, there’s so many filthy rich people where I live so maybe they should give up some of their money… seriously, who needs 100 pairs of shoes and different clothes every single day?</p>

<p>I’m kind of really screwed if I can’t get into a UC. And my parents want me to go to UCLA, UCB, or UCSD - the more competitive UCs. They wouldn’t pay for state universities, or public schools outside of state. They wouldn’t pay for other UC’s besides those three. And then there are those private universities that “aren’t worth the money” like NYU or BU or Cornell. I probably wouldn’t get into any of those anyways.</p>

<p>Typical Californians acting entitled.</p>

<p>I grew up in a state with only two state schools, neither of which are ranked in the top 100 by USNEWS. So it only makes sense that I applied to (and am now attending one) UCs. Education in this country vary drastically state to state, and California offers a variety quality public universities that is unrivaled.</p>

<p>Why should I suffer a significant disadvantage in obtaining a quality education because of the state I grew up in?</p>

<p>As a Californian I resent your “typical Californian” comment.
You are giving yourself away as a stereotyping, closed minded, and judgmental person. Please do not take up permanent residence in Calufornia</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Yeah, because there’s no hard working, looking for no handouts, kind of people in CA, right?</p>

<p>You couldn’t be more ignorant, and I’m sorry if your only exposure to someone from California might have been someone complaining they didn’t get their welfare check on time while they just sat at home watching Saturday cartoons.</p>

<p>Born and raised in CA and I felt horrible for claiming unemployment benefits for 6 weeks after I got out of the Marine Corps. It took my Father giving a big speel to me that it was what I needed and was okay to do since I had been paying into it through taxes. Not that I ever made enough money in the military to actually owe taxes, but I better watch what I say before you stereotype me as a typical Californian just looking for more free rides. Luckily I landed a job after 6 weeks, but everytime I filled out that form, I hated it. And don’t suspect I was just going out blowing what little cash it was too. Before you begin judging again - my wife was born with type-1 diabetes and during that same 6 weeks, we had no health insurance of course. Between insulin, test strips, and insulin pump supplies I’d say a huge chunk of that money just went to health costs. But I guess you might think it’s an entitlement for my wife to live, right? GTHO.</p>

<p>@ Gregsfield
I have little experience or knowledge in this area, but after shouldering the expensive living costs of California and suffering through our incompetent K-12 program, I would think that parents are rightfully angry.</p>

<p>Berkeley, that S-.Of a-B. Got rejected. Was instate too. Got into UCLA regents, but not Berkeley. </p>

<p>I am forever hater of berkeley. i SPIT on their campus in disgust.</p>

<p>^ I think they decided correctly.</p>

<p>@turtlerock</p>

<p>I’m sorry that you went through all of that, but none of that has anything to do with my comment or this thread in general. I was saying that the people in this thread are acting very entitled to “cheap top of the line state schools” with in-staters as an admissions priority. California easily has the best public higher education system in the country. Michigan and Virginia are good as well, but after that there is a pretty huge drop off. That’s why so many OOS people are applying to UC’s and CSUs. State schools in a lot of areas of the country are PITIFUL. Why should someone who grows up in North Dakota be put at a significant disadvantage when it comes to getting into a good public college?</p>

<p>Honestly, you California residents aren’t valuing what you have. The chance to go to a UC for under $6k a semester tuition is INSANE compared to what most of America has access to right now. I am very envious of my friends who grew up here in CA for this reason.</p>

<p>Every state is experiencing massive public education cutbacks, by the way. It’s definitely not a California only thing. Parents are outraged everywhere.</p>

<p>greg: i’m a native southern californian and i agree with you! this thread is ridiculous. seems like a bunch of so-called conservatives whining, complaining, bashing, blaming, scapegoating. </p>

<p>in other words, republicans doing what they do best.</p>

<p>It sucks, but it promotes competition, which is what those schools are aiming at. To them it means a more competitive student body.</p>