UC PT SYSTEM...I don't get it :/

<p>I’m from out of state.
I don’t really get what ELC is?
Also…on number of A-G courses taken…well I don’t really get it.
The number of A-G semester courses beyond the minimum specified for UC eligibility
33-39 courses: 250 pts
40 or more courses: 500 pts</p>

<p>How do you take that many courses. You can only take 8 classes a school year at my school…so thats only 32 classes :confused: so would that mean you get no points.</p>

<p>Also does anyone know how to Calculate pts for your SAT I and SAT II scores?
According to the pt system below…does the UC system not even consider essays? I’m so confused.</p>

<p>If anyone is interested, I found the pt system on line.</p>

<p>UCSD Freshman Comprehensive Review Process (Dec 2004)
courtesy of Joe Ogilvie, former PHHS head counselor</p>

<p>All UC eligible applicants receive a review that considers a combination of the following academic and personal achievement factors. UCSD used the specific scoring rubric shown to award points for fall 2005.</p>

<p>Admission Factors
Maximum points</p>

<p>Academic achievement factors
constitute 77% of the maximum points available</p>

<p>Grade point average x 1000 - Includes a maximum of eight (8) extra semester grade points for approved honors, AP, & UC transferable college courses. This component is capped at 4500 points
4500</p>

<p>All required examinations, SAT I and SAT II x 0.8 (SAT I Verbal & Math; SAT II Writing & Math, and SAT II Subject Tests). See the UCSD General Catalog, pg 35 for an ACT to SAT conversion table
3200</p>

<p>The number of A-G semester courses beyond the minimum specified for UC eligibility</p>

<p>33-39 courses: 250 pts</p>

<p>40 or more courses: 500 pts</p>

<p>500</p>

<p>Eligibility in the Local Context (ELC) (300 points for ELC applicants)
300</p>

<p>Educational Environment- Identified schools which fall into the 4th or 5th quintiles (300 points for applicants from 4th and 5th quintile schools); PHHS is not eligible
300</p>

<p>Socio-Economic Factors</p>

<p>Low family income</p>

<p>Parental income <$60,000: 150 pts</p>

<p>Less than federal TRIO low-income cut-offs: 300 pts</p>

<p>300</p>

<p>First-generation college attendance:
Using most educated parent:</p>

<p>Some college or 2-year graduate: 150 pts</p>

<p>High school education or less: 300 pts</p>

<p>300</p>

<p>Personal Characteristics and Achievement Factors</p>

<p>Demonstrated leadership:</p>

<p>150 pts for two or minor roles, (President or VP of club, captain or co-captain of team,
secretary, treasurer of class or school)</p>

<p>300 pts for one or more major leadership roles, (President. or VP of class or school, Editor-in-Chief, Eagle Scout, Girl Scout Gold Award)</p>

<p>300</p>

<p>Special talents, achievements and awards: Single 150, Multiple 300. Examples are Talents/Achievements outside of school - Black belt, creative entrepreneurship. Awards outside of school setting - Must be first, second or third in a league, regional, citywide or wider competition, i.e. Boys? & Girls? State, RYLA, science fair, sports teams, academic decathlon, academic league, Hugh O?Brien award.
300</p>

<p>Volunteer/community service: Demonstrated charitable work or community service not compensated with pay or
class credit. List specific duties/tasks! Highest total combined hours over two years</p>

<p>100-199 total hours: 150 pts</p>

<p>200+ total hours: 300 pts.</p>

<p>300</p>

<p>Participation in pre-collegiate/motivational and enrichment programs: AVID, EAOP, commercial and school test preparation courses, etc. </p>

<p>1 year: 75 pts</p>

<p>2 years: 150 pts</p>

<p>3+ years: 300 pts</p>

<p>300</p>

<p>Special circumstances and/or personal challenges:
Examples</p>

<p>Single parent household: 250 pts. </p>

<p>Working to contribute to family income AND
a minimum of 20 hours per week during a school year: 250 pts.</p>

<p>Life altering event (foster care, death of immediate family member, personal involvement in a life trauma): 500 points</p>

<p>Less severe event/situation: 250 pts</p>

<p>500</p>

<p>Maximum total
11,100</p>

<p>AT ALL CAMPUSES, PLEASE NOTE THAT NO POINTS CAN BE EARNED FOR THE WRITING SKILLS OR LITERARY TALENTS USED IN WRITING THE PERSONAL STATEMENTS. ONLY FACTUAL INFORMATION RELATING TO CRITERIA #?S 5-12 (NON-ACADAEMIC) CAN EARN SCORING POINTS!!!</p>

<p>In 2004, the cut point for UCSD admission was 7,465 (7,586 for out-of-state). </p>

<p>41,000 applicants, 42% admitted, 3,800 enrolled. </p>

<p>Verification of non-academic information for 2005 fall applicants will be done on random 10% of accepted students prior to admission notification. </p>

<p>ALL CAMPUSES USE THE SAME SELECTION CRITERIA TO EVALUATE APPLICATIONS; HOWEVER, THE WEIGHT OF EACH FACTOR AND THE SPECIFIC EVALUATION PROCESS DIFFER FROM CAMPUS TO CAMPUS.</p>

<p>ELC guarantees admission to a UC to the top 4% of participating high schools, but it won't matter for you since you're OOS, and A-G courses are counted by semester, so if you've taken 32 classes they would double that number... also they don't look at frosh grades.</p>

<p>I find it highly unlikely that they won't consider freshman CLASSES as part of the A-G class #s. The regular high school will only be able to generate 12 grades a year, meaning that sophomore and junior year would only be 24 grades, far below the requirement and with no possible way of pulling it up. UCs don't consider freshman grades for GPA considerations, but they still see if you satisfied graduation/A-G requirements during that year. If one includes those classes, as well as potentially senior year classes as well, the total would be 36~48 classes, a number very attainable to receive those 500 pts.</p>

<p>12 grades a year....only 8 grades a year for me</p>

<p>Sounds like you need to take more classes a year then.</p>

<p>Here are the A-G requirements as I understand:</p>

<p>A: History/Social Science (2yrs req)
*US History 1yr
*World History 1yr
B: English (4yrs req)
*College prep english 4yrs
C: Mathematics (3yrs req)
*Algebra 1yr
*Geometry 1yr
*Algebra II yr
*A 4th yr is recommended
D: Lab Science (2yrs req, 3yrs recommended)
*Biology 1yr
*Chemistry or Physics 1yr
E: Foreign Lang. (2yrs req, 3yrs recommended)
*All classes must be in the same language
F: Visual/Performing Arts (1yr req)
*Any art, music, or dance class works
G: College prep electives (1yr req)
*2 semesters of an additional class that fulfills the above requirements
Total = 15 Units with 1 unit being 1 year long course</p>

<p>You need to get a C or higher in each course to qualify.</p>

<p>do california school kids really have 12 classes a year...at some schools in texas it's only 7 schools a year...but at my school at least it's 8 classes a year</p>

<p>Some schools don't offer the ability to take more classes. At least in SD, the typical school only has 6 classes a year=>12 semesters a year. Even with a 4x4 schedule, my school can only crank out 16 semesters a year. The more I think of the wording, the more I'm fairly certain that freshman and senior semesters will be considered into this total because people like me tend to cram credits required for graduation at those 2 ends to make room for APs during the 2 GPA counted years.</p>

<p>EDIT: Yeah, California schools tend to be semester/trimester based. Some go by quarters, but only 2 grades per year per class will count.</p>

<p>im pretty sure... The number of A-G semester courses beyond the minimum specified for UC eligibility
includes 7th-12th... lol<br>
7th/8th as in algebra 1, geometry, spanish 1</p>

<p>Those meet minimum requirements. The points awarded are for courses going beyond the minimum requirements. Its true that algebra 1, geometry, spanish etc. are A-G classes, but they don't complete the credits for you. To complete math, you need second year algebra, for spanish, you need 2nd year preferably 3rd year. At best, they enable you to take more challenging courses in your high school career, which is what is considered.</p>

<p>Where are the AP scores and the number of AP classes taken factored into this formula?</p>

<p>Also, are you telling me that guy who wins the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair earns 150 points but the guy who has a third place finish in his neighborhood science fair and a second place team finish in his local high school debate competition(in my area you're talking about 5 or 6 high schools) earns 300 points?</p>

<p>AP scores will not affect your application in any way, I asked the UCD guy on here =( AP class # is factored into your GPA and the classes you took beyond the minimum. And the scenario that you mention would be correct under the terms of the point allocation.</p>