**UC San Diego Class of 2025 Discussion**

There has been no indication that they will not use second semester of junior year grades. If you have seen otherwise, you can give a source.

All schools were different and students could explain in the additional info if their grades the second semester were impacted.

3 Likes

To be clear, UCs said the following about P/F classes and second semester of junior year. This is from UCI’s site:

Pass § or Credit (CR) grades earned in spring 2020 through summer 2021 will meet A-G subject requirements but will not be calculated in the GPA. UC will continue to calculate the GPA for admission purposes using all A-G courses passed with letter grades in grades 10 and 11, including summer terms following grades 9, 10 and 11. Extra points in honors-level coursework will continue to be capped at 8 semesters of honors points in A-G courses completed with letter grades of A, B and C in grades 10 and 11.

In short, they are considering 2nd semester grades. The kids who got P/F won’t have their GPA penalized, and the kids who did get letter grades will continue to have those considered.

4 Likes

Maximum Capped weighted is 4.4. UC GPA calculator is here: GPA Calculator for the University of California – RogerHub

UC’s also look at Freshman grades but are not included in the GPA calculation. OOS/International student’s Honors classes are not given the extra honors point in the calculation and only UC approved Honors classes for in-state students get the extra honors points in the calculation.

The capped weighted although listed in most of the UC statistical data is more of a threshold that in-state and OOS/International students need to meet to be eligible to apply. 3.0 for in-state and 3.4 for OOS.

The UC’s look at all grades and courses listed on the UC application. Senior grades are not considered but you need to maintain good grades to keep your provisional admission.

1 Like

High stats kids who were pass/not pass for spring lost the chance to raise their GPAs by adding in more 5s. They are penalized.

3 Likes

The OP was saying second semester grades weren’t being counted at all due to pass/fail. That’s not correct. They are counted, and while yes, they are penalized for not adding in more 5s, they aren’t being penalized from the standpoint of the grades “not counting.” If they didn’t count second semester grades at all, the kids who did get letter grades would then be penalized. I guess they had to make some sort of choice one way or the other.

And kids who take more than the required number of classes have their capped weighted penalized as well (but that’s every year).

2 Likes

Kids with all 4 semesters of grades would have needed 2 honors courses per semester, while kids with pass/fall would need 2 and 2/3 classes on average per semester. I’m guessing the admissions officers would know how to manage this data. Hopefully, it’s not make or break for any students but there is really no way to know.

2 Likes

Kids who take more than the required number of classes are not penalized. Uncapped is considered and I suspect it is the primary GPA consideration at UCLA and Berkeley

The counselor at my kids’ school said she heard at a UC counselor meeting that it would be taken into consideration but there has been no elaboration and no one seems to know how.

My kid had 6 academic courses for 3 semesters. P/F for the 4th. No APs in Sophmore year. All A’s and yet very low GPA like 4.17 or something.

The UC’s have always been GPA focused so without test scores, they still have 13 areas of application review criteria to based their decisions.

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/how-to-apply/applying-as-a-freshman/how-applications-are-reviewed.html

really? but don’t you have to have a 3.0 weighted? I thought UCLA was the one who only allowed 1 C

Omgeeeee i am so confused by these GPA posts :frowning: Now I am more confused than ever about how it all works :frowning:

UCLA and UCB’s provisional admission contract spelled out no more than 2 C’s Senior year, unweighted GPA of 3.0 and no D’s or F’s. The other UC’s state you need to maintain a 3.0 weighted GPA Senior year no D’s or F’s, but this can always change.

I think we’re using penalized differently. I’m probably not being clear. I was speaking of how the capped WGPA can drop the more classes you take, even though you still get high grades. It’s a penalty from the standpoint that it doesn’t tell the whole story for the student, just as those P/F grades also dont tell the whole story.

I think it’s been mentioned multiple times here, though, that capped WPGA is only looked at to determine eligibility anyway.

2 Likes

Curses to all of you (and now to me). When I come on and see 100-something new posts in this thread, I just “know” it’s happening!!! And then I look, and nope, it’s just all of us anxious people being anxious. :slight_smile: Ugh.

12 Likes

lol, if admissions was really bluffing a bunch of people will probably check the portal anyway and crash the server regardless

1 Like

And the capped weighted GPA is usually the GPA referred to in the UC statistical data for admitted and enrolled students. Exceptions are UCLA and UCB which actually show the Fully weighted UC GPA on their websites.

2 Likes

Don’t worry about it too much. It’s out of our hands now anyway. :grinning: I do think the UCs make it overly complicated and it causes a lot of confusion. What’s most important is strong rigor and great grades. That’s the bottom line. Hopefully, they came up with a solid way of fairly assessing the kids who had P/F grades.

4 Likes

Do you think 4.13 capped GPA and 4.5 UC GPA good enough for UCSD