**UC San Diego Class of 2025 Discussion**

I don’t but I have a Berkeley one. I transferred and finished there.

1 Like

Ohh! That’s great!

Are you in CA? If so top 10% is guaranteed at least Merced.

That was so typical back then. Different world.

No I’m from DC and go to a public school in Montgomery County MD

same

1 Like

there’s definitely very few overachievers and the few who are tend to stick to the east coast

Honestly, it’s so crazy how we’re expected to achieve so much before even graduating from high school.

7 Likes

I think most times for most people ECs & volunteering are just resume padding and have no significance in real life and are not real predictors of life success. It has become a very artificial system of admitting students. Probably colleges realize it, students and parents realize it - but everyone keeps up the charade. Once in a while there is true ground breaking EC achievement - but that is rare.

6 Likes

i totally agree wiht this point! i just know that my mom really regretted where she went (she ended up transferring to a school in sd)

You said you’re in dcps right?

yeah it really is

can someone please call the AO lol

We did too and I have to say, Merced gets a bad rap for no reason I think. Years ago Irvine, then Riverside, and Santa Cruz were looked down on. Now it’s Merced. After visiting Merced, expecting to find it to be inferior like we always hear, it’s actually a real up and coming school. Everything is brand new. There is lots of opportunity for undergrads to work in research since it’s not a big graduate school. Two professors took time out of their day to show us around their labs, which we certainly didn’t find at other schools. Other than being in a less desirable location than many of the others, I’d suggest people look at Merced for what it is, instead of for the popularity contest the UC system has become.

2 Likes

I will once I feel kinda bad spamming tho since I did yesterday

Same here! I remember those days.

1 Like

totally agree

They hung up on me said call back later too busy

1 Like

You’ve made a really good (maybe unintended) point that it’s hard to know as a teen. Not all paths are straight. Many people go to a school and for whatever reason transfer to another. That’s totally fine. If you don’t get in to your dream school this year, maybe go to a different option and if you hate it, apply for a transfer next year. Or go to free community college, save the money, and transfer without as much concern about debt. Just like so many things in life, the perception we have of something or someone doesn’t necessarily make that true, including if the school of your dreams is the perfect school for you. There are many paths and many things that can make a school a good place for a person. Hang in there all!

1 Like

or they just won’t take calls lol

2 Likes