**UC San Diego Class of 2025 Discussion**

possibly haha

I called, they said no later then March 31st.

2 Likes

Haha, my Dā€™s 2 rejects are Columbia and UT Austin. I am not unhappy. She gets this idea of studying in NYC which I am not that fond of.

2 Likes

Crazy how many schools kids are applying to! My daughter applied to a total of 6 after carefully matching her qualifications with schools she was a match for (at least top quarter of admitted students) with the schools she actually visited and liked. In hindsight, I think she would have been better off using the shotgun approach since with so many total applications this year there are going to be many rejections even of students with high stats. Now that I see how many schools lots of students applied to :astonished:, her selective approach probably wasnā€™t the best strategy.

Still hoping for the best!

2 Likes

For me it was my volunteering and experiences that led me to a possible future path. But my sport with training 32 hours a week and traveling really made it tough to keep up with my grades so my GPA is on the very very low end of acceptable for UC schools. Lots of my friends who have really good GPA have had tutors and SAT prep and college advisor, I never could keep up with my schools GPA. Iā€™m disappointed to be rejected and waitlisted to UCā€™s and wish there was a way to tell the schools that my heart was in everything I did I didnā€™t just do it for resume fluff and my grades arenā€™t all of meā€¦ I really hate how this college stuff has turned out. No visiting schools, no athlete recruit trip.

4 Likes

when is ucsd coming out? today? when?

1 Like

We are all learning. Hope your daughter get in to one of the schools she likes. Good luck!

1 Like

i dont think it will. i talked to admissions office and they said they still dont have a set deadlineā€¦ they just said it will be released by march 31st

Well if you order UCs by median SAT this is what you get:

UC Merced 1080 (?)
UC Riverside 1225
UC Davis 1285
UC Santa Cruz 1290
UC Irvine 1300
UC San Diego 1360 (?)
UC Santa Barbara 1365
UC LA 1405
UC Berkeley 1420

Source: Collegeboard, except the ones with (?)

Not saying this is indicative of college quality though.

I couldnā€™t take it with COVID :sweat:

Sadly our 36 that we got in 9th grade will count for nothing. What a waste of many weekends of studying the ACT prep we bought on Amazon.

5 Likes

Just a quick response: those stats are incorrect. Always best to go with the official published information from the uc system. It can be found here: Freshman admission profile | UC Admissions

1 Like

Agreed, my kid spent her summer between soph and junior year studying for the SAT plus we paid for Kaplan review. She did really really well.

2 Likes

Decisions will come out when they come out. What is more important is to take a deep dive into what schools/programs accepted you so far. If you have a long-term plan like Med School, Law School, etc, itā€™s important to know what those schools look for in a graduate. You canā€™t pick schools on names anymore, you have to look at the program and opportunities to differentiate through research, specialized studies, honor programs, etc. Also, do you want to join the rat race or be in an inclusive collaborative environment. Do you want to compete for research with 2000 pre-med kids or have a direct relationship with a professor, paying you to assist in the lab.

While UCLA , USCD (Name your prestige college here) might be the feel good choice. Lowly UCR or Merced might give you the right research exposure to best a UCLA pre-med grad. and that is the smart choice.

Opportunity is found on the unbeaten path

9 Likes

UCSD please let us know when admissions decisions are being posted I feel like Iā€™m going crazy <3

2 Likes

According to this stats, lots of kids would have gotten into many of these UCs including my daughter who worked so hard in her summer before the junior year to prep for SAT/ACT and and did 40 hours of CS related internship. But, she didnā€™t get into UCI, UCSB, waitlisted at UCSC and accepted only at UCMerced:(

4 Likes

same, i spent hours every day studying that summer and even continued to study after i had surgery :frowning: im still so disappointed that our hard work is going completely disregarded and not being taken into account at all

2 Likes

Good for you. I gotta used my own money to apply to more schools. I ended up applying to 12 schools of which 3 are free (Tulane, Mines and UP).

@Prep4Uni I feel terrible for kids who prepped but couldnā€™t take the exam and then for my son who probably had a shot at UCLA with his 36 ACT. Itā€™s just bad for the kids this year, no matter the camp. You just hope that between GPA, essays, and the right major combo, they hit the UC formula of acceptance happiness. I let my son mope about it because the kids on both sides have the right to vent their frustrations. However, at the end of the day, the rules of the game can change any time in any setting and it sucks that this happened for a big milestone for them with college app.

5 Likes

I hear you. Definitely in your case your ECs/volunteering/experiences are genuine. In our case, the son took stricter teacher advanced Math courses knowing it would lead to so-so grades but great learning. And he is happy for that learning experience and developed genuine love for Math. But the UCs would see those grades as Bā€™s and not easier teacherā€™s Aā€™s. But the experience will always help him in the long run - in college or in life. I am glad he took those courses rather than coasting thru for a couple of Aā€™s. I will say the same holds true for you.