**UC San Diego Class of 2025 Discussion**

I’m kinda confused as to why I got into chemical engineering instead of bioengineering. It seems that both are similarly impacted majors. Is there any chance this could be a mistake?

I heard that UCSD, or the UC system in general, doesn’t give great financial aid for OOS students. Could someone give me a reference of how much I’d have to pay at the minimum income bracket?

Pretty sure it’s about 60K OOS

Accepted international mechanical engineering, but first choice was CS

Did anyone else get into Marshall at UCSD? I got in for Political Science!

1 Like

Yes! I got into Marshall with the major in Human Biology

Does anyone know when UCSD Regent scholarship will be announced?

@TwinsDadSoCAL My mentee saw it in his portal financial aid tab when he was notified of acceptance.

Hi rainbow,

UCSD lists estimated cost of attendance OOS with on campus housing for 2021-2022 at $64,029. The COA varies between UC’s. UCSB is more like $67,000.

How easy is it to transfer into computer science as a undeclared major?

You can use the Net priced calculator to get an estimate of your costs. Unless you get some merit scholarships, you wil be expected to pay full costs as a OOS student.

https://fas.ucsd.edu/forms-and-resources/financial-aid-estimator/index.html

Not easy, after completing the course requirements and maintaining a specific GPA, you are placed into a lottery.

https://cse.ucsd.edu/undergraduate/cse-capped-admissions-program

1 Like

Both are capped/impacted, but Bioengineering is even more impacted than Chemical Engineering. UCSD recognized you are as an exceptional applicant so they accepted you into an alternate Engineering major.

That’s an interesting combination of acceptances. I too got in EA at ND and just received acceptances at UCSD and UCLA. ND gives a ton of financial aid and the cost will be as low if not lower than either UC. I’m curious what your main considerations are for making a decision. Since hearing from ND in Dec, they have been extremely supportive. Their outreach is incredible

1 Like

Congrats!! Son got in cs too!

1 Like

Accepted undeclared in Marshall College (Applied CS and Data Science)

OOS
UW: 3.89
UC:4.22
Weighted/Capped: 4.22

Kinda sad I didn’t get in for either major, but I expected it since they were both capped majors.
Probably will not attend since CS/Data science will be a lotto.

1 Like

Hi SomniRat - i got into UCSD as CogSci major. I am also interested in Computer Science. Which specialization has the most computer science elements? It seems like its Machine Learning. or better do a Minor in Comp Sci. I am very excited to go to UC SD.

Do people receive their UC aid package with admission notification or that comes in later ? We are out of state so curious about it.

2 Likes

How do you find out your major ?

Yay congrats!! See u around maybe!

CONGRATS!!

If you’re interested in CS I would recommend either Machine Learning or Design and Interaction. You should look into the courses and see which fits your specific interests in computer science because it is a diverse field. Most Cog Sci majors I know who want to do CS specialize in Machine Learning. I’ve heard from many professors and other students that there is an emphasis in data science and human-computer interaction.

I recently watched a guest lecturer explain some of the many things you can do with a background in CS and Cog Sci and how to navigate undergrad to get a job after college so let me know if you’d like me to send it!

If you’re referring to the financial aid package, I remember that came between August and September for me and I believe an it also comes out in waves.

If you’re referring the physical package with your letter of admission, that should probably come within a few weeks (but I’m an in-state student so I don’t know if it’ll take longer for out-of-state students).

1 Like