**UC San Diego Class of 2025 Discussion**

On the acceptance letter it said “we are pleased to offer you admission for Fall 2021 to the University of California San Diego as a major in International Studies- Political Science”

But on the portal prior to the decision release it had no major indicated (some people did have one)

Our OOS kid got his with admission notice. I believe there was an “aid” tab at the top.

1 Like

Thanks. Congrats. UCSD was one of my top choices and I am so excited!

1 Like

my daughter was admitted in-state for international studies sociology focus. we have two broad questions: 1) what’s the general vibe on campus like, particularly as compared to the other UCs? and 2) does STEM feel dominant among feels of study there? what’s it like to study arts, humanities and social sciences? oh, one more: anyone have any experience with surfing clubs there? is there a community outside of the competitive surfing team?

What about for CS?

I can try to answer these questions.

UCSD has a reputation for being one of the more quiet campuses and I would say the general vibe of the student body is studious and more reserved. There are also very strict policies regarding covid. Personally, I have found my campus life to be vibrant so far and have made lots of great friends. The campus is also very large and beautiful, the buildings are architecturally impressive and I love to destress by taking walks around campus.

There is a very strong emphasis on STEM fields at UCSD, but I’ve also heard that we have great programs for arts and humanities!

As for surfing, UCSD actually has a program for recreation where students can sign up for fun activities and there’s a wide range to choose from. It normally costs money each quarter but I’m not sure how much. This is something I think your daughter would be really interested in. I think there might be a surfing club, you’ll have to check closer to Fall quarter. Even if there isn’t, I know there is a pretty strong community for surfing.

4 Likes

My kid applied for CS. However, he got admitted for undeclared. After May 1st, when all the SIR had been summited. Do any chance, they will reverse and admitted him to CS?

Thanks,

I got into Warren College. It didn’t seem like the major and college aren’t really correlated but wanted to check. Any thoughts on Warren?

Is there any benefit to accepting and signing up for housing right away or is housing priority not based on when you sign up for housing?

1 Like

Can anyone tell me what the initial deposit is upon completing the SIR? I don’t see that info provided up front in the portal, and my son is not quite ready yet to commit for sure and check the box. Thanks!

My D is in the same boat. Applied for CS. Admitted to Sixth College undeclared.
In-state UW 3.90, W4.57.
Probably not going.

They’re not strictly related but you’ll notice a trend that many CS and Engineering majors happen to be in Warren. I’ve heard good things! On campus, Warren is the home for the CS and Engineering departments as well. I think part of the selection process for the 7 colleges is based on your character (your essays) and if you fit the vibe and mission statement of the college, and your indicated preferred college. But it could also be based on space availability.

1 Like

accepted in-state, uw gpa i think somewhere around 3.7
sixth college (first choice)
i doubt i’ll attend
how is psychology for this school? specifically clinical/counseling psych? i looked through the faculty and there aren’t research opportunites for clinical/counseling psych?

My son also was put into Warren (it was his first choice). Definitely search up Warren on YouTube - there are a lot of helpful videos there with dorm tours, explanation of the GE requirements, etc.

1 Like

Extremely unlikely since they admit more students than actually enroll. If he wants CS, he will need to go through the change of major process after he enrolls.

@frostfire18: what are you referencing on your question? Please clarify. I am answering questions from multiple posters and discussion threads.

I think it depends on what you’re after, UCSD’s psychology program is strong and it has a huge emphasis on research. I have peers who are majoring in clinical psych who’ve been doing research and love it the program so far. I don’t know what your career goals are but I’ve heard there’s been a shift in focus away from the clinical and counseling areas of psychology so that’s something to consider.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: UCSD Class of 2025 Waitlist Discussion

Man I applied for 1. Comp Sci and 2. Data science but got in for data science in the Sixth College. UCSD Comp Sci was my dream but playing my chances with the CS Major lottery system is not too appealing

2 Likes

Daughter got accepted OOS to Revelle College for Cognitive behavioral neuroscience. Not sure what everyone means by “forms” but this was her first choice of major. Congrats to everyone who was accepted and wishing best of luck to those who are waitlisted or weren’t offered a spot----don’t lose hope, there are lots of good options out there.

Was curious to read about students having a hard time registering for first choice of classes at UCSD due to impacted courses, etc… Would be interested to hear more about this…

3 Likes