**UC San Diego Class of 2025 Discussion**

DS21 got in CS at Warren College. First choice for the major and the college. He will go forfeit his spot Computer Engineering at SDSU, and CPP (same major). So, his spot will be available for the waitlisted. He got in UCSC for CS and Mines for CS emphasis in robotics. Can anyone give us an insight on the differences between the CS at UCSC and UCSD? How about Mines and UCSD? Any advantage over one another for the job prospects/internship between the three? We are local in San Diego, so UCSD is like in our backyard.

1 Like

I have to say things are so weird. But I guess that’s what happens with the UCs holistic admissions. My son’s results for CS:

Accepted UCI (undeclared), UCSC, UCSD (Math/CS, his first choice)
Waitlisted UCSB, UCD
Rejected SLO, UCLA, SDSU, SFSU

Comparing to yours, crazy, huh?

Congratulations!

Just to clarify, all universities accept more students than they expect to enroll so declining a spot does not necessarily open a spot for someone off of the waitlist.

5 Likes

Thanks!! So in the other words, “waitlisted = rejected” almost by definition?

Not exactly, it depends on the school and also varies from year to year. I heard that the UC schools are leveraging waitlist quite a lot. Withdrawing individual admissions now may not impact those waitlisted, but the number of enrollments by May 1 will.

1 Like

I like that. Rejection to redirection. Good for you and good luck to you wherever you go!

1 Like

since he applied to all these schools, just curious why he didnt ED somewhere to increase chances?

Thanks GPlove, that is really kind, and he is excited about the choices. He seems to be leaning toward LMU and its business school. When decided, we will make sure he declines ASAP where he is not attending. All the best to your family during this process, and thanks again for the very kind note!

1 Like

I hear you. Son rejected from UCLA. 36 on ACT. What a bummer year.

Son waitlisted at UCSC. 35 on ACT. W GPA: 4.22, UW GPA: 3.94. Undeclared, not CS etc.

I’m guessing from the list that Stanford was his “early” choice since Stanford has Restrictive Early Action and Regular Decision results aren’t out until April.

Hey again everyone :smiley: Just wanted to let y’all know that I am here to answer your questions about UCSD! (I’m a student right now). Also, I just posted another video about UCSD if you want to learn about the new dining halls :slight_smile: (realistic) College Decision Reactions 2020!!! UC, CSU, Johns Hopkins, Boston University, & more... - YouTube

2 Likes

Thanks! What are you hearing about potential of being on campus in the fall?

1 Like

very likely, I live on campus now and UCSD is slowly moving back to normal. COVID cases are very low and they will be enforcing vaccination soon. You can see more of the cover stats here: COVID-19 Daily Dashboard

2 Likes

Hello Thanks for helping out. My son got admitted as undeclared into sixth college. I understand that you need to take some courses , maintain a minimum GPA and get into a lottery system to get admission into the CS program . But can we have other programs like Math + CS and Data Science as options 2 and 3 if you don’t get the lottery ? Basically I want to make sure my son gets into one of these 3 programs (pure CS or Math+CS or Data Science) before we commit for attending ? Appreciate any pointers here.

1 Like

yes, if he doesn’t get into CS, there will still be an opportunity to switch to those other two majors. I would just make sure he is taking the correct prereqs for those majors. that info should be on the major’s websites :slight_smile:

Thanks for offering your help!

My son got undeclared at Warren College. How competitive is it to get into majors? Is it quite stressful and super competitive? I know some colleges are worse than others with getting into engineering / CS majors. Any insight is appreciated! Thanks again!

There are no stats on the acceptance rates, but I know CS is the hardest to get into. After that, most engineering majors are pretty competitive. For all majors except CS, you should be pretty solid if you get good grades in the prereq classes. The uncertainty causes stress, so that’s something to consider if you’re applying for a more competitive major.

2 Likes

I’m hearing that the UC’s were the most strict about adhering to test optional.

They were forced to be test blind by a lawsuit. Not test optional

3 Likes