UC Santa Barbara Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

We were able to peek through the ground floor windows at UCLA to see some rooms that looked unoccupied. They are super small. You can also see what they look like from various students’ YouTube dorm tours. My son will probably be fine (he doesn’t have a lot of stuff), but I think my HS sophomore (a girl with much more stuff) would feel cramped. I think you can pay more and get a little more space at the different dorms (Saxon Suites etc.) but seems like the typica Freshman experience is in the triples in the big high rises. I am guessing they may only allow doubles due to COVID, however. I actually like the idea of him having two roommates (more flexible dynamic?) vs one, but the space would be TIGHT. Hopefully the dorms have common areas you can hang out in because you would want to be there more than in your room. We saw some of that from waking around but it wasn’t clear for all of them. Will have to do more research online when we can. But the campus look and feel overall was pretty great. I think he’s decided UCLA and now we are touring mainly to have his sisters think ahead. Which residential college did your daughter get acceptance to at UCSD?

I should have also said that I’m sure Northeastern is such a great choice as well! I went to school in Boston (well, Cambridge but spent time across the river) and loved it. Can’t go wrong with schools in Boston! My son was accepted to Boston College and we would consider it except that we aren’t getting any need based aid and compared to the in state tuition foe UCs, it’s just hard to justify. But if he gets off the waitlist at Harvard?..maybe. :grimacing: For now, though, it looks like he’ll commit to UCLA. And I think it will be great. One other thing we sort of stumbled across on the Hill near the UCLA dorms…a whole complex of really nice looking swimming pools that are part of some sort of activity center. I would have loved to have access to those in college!! Good luck to you and your daughter as she decides. There definitely seem to be some nicer and more spacious dorms at UCLA. They are just a little bit of a hike (5 more minutes) more up the Hill and I don’t know how many Freshmen live there.

Thanks for sharing! I too thought the dorms would be too small. My classic triple was smaller than my own room. But honestly it was fine. They’re smartly packaged and most students spend little time in the room between classes, and other ECs.

That’s great perspective! Thank you for the reassurance. I think he will be fine, and the good food at UCLA may make up for any dorm deficiencies! :+1:t3:

1 Like

We are OOS for UC schools, so as it turns out, NU and UCLA would be about similar price for us. Daughter received a modest scholarship at UCSD, so that would be the least expensive of the three. She was accepted to Muir college. Possible PreMed which is impacting her decision-making - I am active on other threads regarding that part of the process.

On one hand, I shouldn’t worry too much about double or triple. Afterall, it’s not me who will be living there :slightly_smiling_face: But, both of my daughters have their own sizeable rooms in our house, and they like their privacy, so I know it will be an adjustment. Two roommates rather than one leaves far fewer opportunities to chill in your room if you need a little peace.

Oh, pass this on to your HS sophomore: we learned from my older daughter’s first year college experience, that you don’t need as much stuff as you think!

1 Like

By way of comparison, and for those of you looking at multiple UCs, UCSD has already stated there will be no triples in the fall.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing that. Are they still able to guarantee on campus housing for all freshmen?

they’re a bit dodgy on that one…they’re saying “they expect to accommodate” all first year freshmen and scholars who are guaranteed housing. And they’re saying occupancy should be near 100%, in a news release they put out today.

https://hdh.ucsd.edu/housing/incoming/pages/

2 Likes

Nice! Muir College was my second favorite on our walk around campus. Central and nice looking. One of my best friends from childhood went to Muir, loved it, met her lifelong best friend. Your daughter has wonderful choices. If she ends up at UCLA she may meet my son! I’m trying to get him to attend some of the virtual “Bruin Bound” events today, but we are still on our way home and checking out UC Santa Cruz for good measure (more for his sisters at this point). It’s such a bummer that the UC admitted students days (all traditionally today) have to be virtual. Cal Day is one of my favorite days in Berkeley where we live.

Housing
In addition to resuming in-person instruction, we are currently planning to open our student housing at the full or near-full capacity allowed. We are creating a priority system that will offer campus-based housing to first-year students, though placement is not guaranteed. We will also prioritize the housing needs of our second-year students, first-year transfers, and students with demonstrated need. Our graduate student and family student housing will continue to operate at regular capacity, as it has throughout the year. Specific information will be forthcoming from our housing office in the next few months.

Classes
*Some of our plans will be contingent on public health guidelines, and our faculty, staff, and medical experts will continue to review all guidelines throughout the spring and summer and make adjustments to our existing protocols as necessary. This may mean that while we plan to resume as much in-person instruction as possible, some of our largest lecture courses will need to be offered with a remote component. We are looking forward to welcoming our students back to campus in the fall if conditions allow; at the same time, our faculty and staff colleagues are working on various instructional options should we need to provide remote instruction. *

We also have heard from some of our students, especially international students, about the potential need to receive some remote access to instruction in the fall. Our departmental administrators, faculty, and staff are working to develop creative options for specific courses if needed. For our freshman international students who face visa delays, we have a plan to be able to offer sufficient courses with a remote option for them to make appropriate progress toward their major and general education requirements. More detailed information will be communicated to students directly.

1 Like

Hi everyone! My daughter is having a difficult time finalizing her top choice from SB, SD or Irvine. She loves SB’s gorgeous campus and the plethora of opportunities to explore healthcare sciences at SD and Irvine. Without having a med school nor other healthcare related schools on campus, how easy is it for SB students to seek volunteer opportunities at hospitals or neighborhood health clinics within a short Lyft or Uber ride from campus? She doesn’t have her drivers license yet so she won’t have a car.

I attended UCSB many moons ago. I did research on campus and took the free bus from the center of campus to Cottage Hospital. Bus routes.

Just like other campuses, UCSB has a department for pre-health advising. Have you looked at their website? One plus for UCSB is that their student population is 90% undergraduate so, in general, students aren’t competing with grad students for opportunities.

http://www.ucsbhpa.com/networking-luncheon.html

http://www.ucsbhpa.com/mentorship-program.html

Act fast as housing options reduced the longer she takes.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your advice!