UC Santa Cruz Class of 2027 Official Thread

So there were still a lot of acceptances that came out in March?

Nope - sorry!

I can’t say where D23 will enroll, but fwiw UCSC was her top UC, even after touring UCLA and UCB.

4 Likes

My twins got accepted for computer Science.Fill out the template later

3 Likes

Last year only admits were posted in February, so March had the rest of the admits along with waitlisted and denied applicants. UCSC does not breakout how many admitted in February vs. March but the majority of decisions have historically been posted in March.

4 Likes

We had a counselor who said maybe UCSC might yield protect our S23 applicant so we should pick another safety school as well. S23 got in today for BioEngg & BioInformatics major.

I agree, my S23 would choose UCSC over UCD, UCSB because of this specific major.

4 Likes

Each UC campus acts as a separate entity and admits students that meet their institutional needs.

From the UC website:

Do campuses make their admissions decisions independently from other UC campuses?
Each UC campus evaluates each application without knowing the status of the same application at another campus. In making admission decisions, campuses do not consider where you’ve applied or your admission status to other campuses. All campuses consider your application simultaneously, yet independently of all other campuses you applied to.

4 Likes

D was admitted today - we are from out of state.

2 Likes

Let’s hope she gets Regents then! :crossed_fingers: :four_leaf_clover:

Decision: Accepted
Merit scholarships awarded (if any):? No
Major (and division if applicable) applied to: CS
ACADEMIC STATS::
UC Unweighted GPA: 3.95
UC Capped Weighted GPA: 4.32
UC Fully Weighted GPA: 4.50

ELC (top 9% CA HS): Yes

Comments about course load (including senior year):
Number of UC Approved AP/Honors courses: 10
AP courses/exams (scores in parentheses):
Accelerated Algebra 2/Trigonometry and PreCalculus
Chemistry in the Earth Systems Honors
AP Euro - 4
AP Calc BC - 5
AP Chemistry - 5
AP Comp Sci Principle - 4
AP Spanish - 4
AP Statistics (12th Grade)
AP Physics 1 (12th Grade)
AP English Lit (12th Grade)
MATH-1C
SUBJECTIVE::
Extracurriculars:

Supplemental/Augmented Review: No

DEMOGRAPHICS:: in state, Female
State/location of HS: Fremont, CA
Applied for need-based financial aid? No
First Generation? No

2 Likes

D23 accepted to CS today!

GPA: unweighted 3.97, weighted 4.44

12 APs, majority STEM with scores of 4,5 mostly, couple 3s (five APs in progress though)

In state Bay Area

Good ECs -
Martial Arts black belt(s)
Club founder for girls welfare
Club president for GWH
Club VP for mental wellness
Won some regional STEM contests
No SIP or Cosmos, but had summer internships during covid and last year (stem related)

Essays: how can I tell? I am a parent and we had no counselor help. To me they looked fine :), without prior experience

3 Likes

A valid point. But, if the performance of a campus admissions office is measured in some way by yield, they could still “yield protect” by waitlisting those whose profile they think is one likely to be admitted and accept an offer from another university or a different UC campus. However, I’ve never heard any counselor that claims they do yield protect show any evidence that they are measured by yield (e.g. no Dean of Admissions has their bonus tied to yield). And waitlisting someone who they think is qualified with high stats seems like it could hurt them in an area that they do “advertise” (high overall stats of their incoming students). So my personal opinion is that they don’t yield protect. It’s just that the fuzziness of “fit” and “institutional priorities” along with the massive number of applications has increased the amount of randomness/unpredictability in UC admissions.

4 Likes

Not sure whether it has any relevance. S21 got in early 2 years back with Deans Scholarship. He did SIP. S23 did not get early admission today. He did not do SIP. Their both profiles are different and applied to different majors.

I agree that people underestimate how sometimes “fit” plays a role at given UC campuses. There are always surprises every year because X student who has the stats to get into Y campus but not Z campus ends up getting rejected from Y but admitted to Z. Sometimes it’s fit (or to your point, institutional priorities). UC Santa Cruz definitely has to be careful not to overadmit because of housing scarcity, among other things, so number of admits can vary based on whether or not they missed the target in the prior year and need to manage admissions very carefully. But that’s more about using waitlists to yield manage, as you say. They just don’t have the institutional admissions capacity to look at an individual applicant and try to suss out (especially since they don’t even know if or where else they’ve applied within the system!) whether or not it makes sense to waitlist or reject them because they are worried they’ll go elsewhere. By and large they are looking for students who they want who they think are a good fit.

6 Likes

My daughter just got an email from UCSC admissions.

4 Likes

Decision: Accepted
Merit scholarships awarded (if any): ???
Major (and division if applicable) applied to: Proposed Major Literature
ACADEMIC STATS::
Calculate your GPAs with GPA Calculator for the University of California – RogerHub
UC Unweighted GPA: 4.0
UC Capped Weighted GPA: 4.31
UC Fully Weighted GPA: 4.77

ELC (top 9% CA HS):

Comments about course load (including senior year): Homeschooled. 50 total CC credits - all a-g

Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.):

SUBJECTIVE::
Extracurriculars: Unique ECs - traveled internationally for competitive play
Job/Work Experience: P/T job with leadership responsibilities in area of primary interest

Supplemental/Augmented Review: Not sure. I think as an OOS homeschooler, he would normally be part of the supplemental review. However, a majority of his CC units were in California (moved OOS in senior year).

DEMOGRAPHICS::
State/location of HS (if domestic applicant): Homeschooled
Applied for need-based financial aid? Yes
First Generation? No

3 Likes

Do you happen to know when they have traditionally notified accepted students about scholarships?

Last year early admitted students heard on March 3 regarding scholarships.

1 Like

My daughter just got accepted in UCSC for computer science!

7 Likes

It looks like you can change the Proposed Major on the portal, in case anyone has changed their mind.

2 Likes