UC Santa Cruz Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

I believe it is just rolling out. I don’t think it is complete yet. So you may be getting something another week or two.

2 Likes

My D admitted. Only notification was in her portal (no email). OOS, UW 4.0, Weighted 4.9, IB program - Biology

Congrats to those admitted and good luck to those waiting!

4 Likes

Congratulations! Did she just get the message in her portal today or was it there yesterday? I’m just wondering if there have been more decisions released since yesterday mid-day. Thanks!

2 Likes

My child has a 4.38 UC GPA and a not-super-competitive major and didn’t get in yesterday. I’m trying not to read too much into it. Hang in there!

10 Likes

Ouch. I hope this means cumulative GPA drop, not just senior year GPA? As in, a 4.0 straight-A student is allowed to end up with 3.5 cumulative GPA when they graduate, just not a 3.0 cumulative? In other words, they won’t get rescinded if they have a 3.0 (straight B’s) for their senior year, right?

And @CorriW hang in there. My D also didn’t hear yesterday so is feeling pretty bummed. She also has a high UC GPA but applied to CS so even though she knows her odds aren’t great, it’s hard hearing other kids getting in now. But it sounds like there are a ton more decisions that still need to be released. Good luck!!

4 Likes

In the past, it was at least a 3.0 weighted Senior year GPA (cumulative) with no D’s or F’s to maintain your acceptance. This is pretty standard for the UC’s other than UCLA and UCB.

3 Likes

duplicate

The odds for CS with a high UC GPA are pretty good. Check out the post up-thread that showed admit rate breakdown by GPA bucket. I would say the acceptances yesterday is just a small part of the overall admit pool. Wouldn’t worry about it at all - at least at this point.

2 Likes

What are the most competitive majors at UCSC? I’m guessing Psychology is at the top which is my child’s choice of major. Not sure if the weighted GPA on transcripts of 4.06 is going to make the cut. UC GPA 3.91

UCSC does not admit by major except for the College of Engineering and all applicants are admitted into a “proposed major” where required courses will have to be taken before declaring so students are not locked into a specific major.

4 Likes

Can you switch from BA comp sci into something outside Baskin easily ? (something like business economics)

1 Like

Thanks, that keeps us hopeful!

That sounds reasonable. Sorry if off-topic, but what do UCLA and UCB do differently?

So is there any cutoff by major gpa? Are all majors impacted? Sorry for asking so many questions. Just nervous

2 Likes

May be possible if not an impacted major

1 Like

I just got in! Business Management Economics, uc gpa 4.0

8 Likes

Congrats! Were you just notified or you saw the acceptance from yesterday?

4 Likes

UCLA and UCB have required a 3.0 unweighted cumulative GPA Senior year, no more than 2C’s, no D’s or F’s to keep your acceptance.

3 Likes

Do accepted students need to do anything about housing prior to May 1? Thanks!

I think so. After admission, there is a drop down menu that lets my son change into other majors. There are 108 options in the menu.

But other baskin majors /impacted majors are not in the drop down menu.

2 Likes