UC Santa Cruz Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

It varies for sure, not available at all UCs but there’s Comp Eng. and Data Science to consider as well. Point is there’s plenty of good options out there!

1 Like

If you think Cal Poly SLO has a housing crisis then you’re in for a treat for Humboldt housing. Insane rent if you can even find anything. I don’t see a huge wave of students flocking to Humboldt over the new name… probably wanted more students to go there. A lot of students that apply there literally get admitted before applications close which says something!

Great tip on CP Humbo!

1 Like

I’m a Humboldt grad myself, so maybe I’m biased :wink:

I have a lot of friends and relatives who live there still, and I guarantee rent is cheaper than LA or SD or SB.

8 Likes

Hi

Just curious how that works with UCM? Could you tell me how that works if you are not accepted into the UC’s you applied to?

Yes, you don’t have to apply to all CSU’s at once, so adding Humboldt is no problem. I also highly recommend Humboldt for environmental science (says this alumni with that degree).

5 Likes

You will be offered a space at a different campus where there is space. This may not necessarily mean UC Merced, even though thats historically the case, and will likely be the case in the near future.

I feel you. My daughter applied to a similar list of schools, and I’ve been incredibly stressed despite her excellent grades. Cal Poly SLO decisions are rolling out right now. She’s thrilled to be in, and now this stressed mom can relax over the next 15 days of decisions. :rofl:

5 Likes

Thank you! He added it this afternoon!!

4 Likes

Thank you! This is so hard. He didn’t get in at Cal Poly SLO today (yet) – no notice of anything at all, so of course, this is feeding the anxiety (for both of us!)

2 Likes

Oh, shoot! Something good is coming.

1 Like

Do you have to be in the top 9%

Yes, the Statewide guarantee is for students determined to be in the top 9% of California high school students by using a formula called the Statewide Index.

You can read more about it here:

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/admission-requirements/freshman-requirements/california-residents/statewide-guarantee/

1 Like

Yes, the student has to qualify for the Statewide Index, which means they have to be in top 9% of all California high school graduates, AND they also have to be a California resident. If the student meets those requirements and aren’t admitted to any of the UC campuses they applied to, they’ll be offered a spot at another campus if and where there is space available. Note the “if” and the “where.” You can figure out if you qualify for the Statewide Index here: Admissions index instructions | UC Admissions

same here…hate this anxiety. It is so hard when they are in school and hearing about others getting in during the day. I just wish they did it all in one day like UCSB is doing

4 Likes

Here too!

That is one way. There is another way, called ELC -Eligible in the Local Context, basically if you are top 9% of your high school class. A student can qualify one way only or both ways. Either way makes you eligible. This eligibility is for California residents only.

1 Like

Thanks for adding that information! The applicant’s high school has to participate in the ELC program, and if it does and the applicant qualifies, “they can log back into their application to see whether or not they’ve been designated as being in the top 9 percent of their class by selecting the ‘View how your application is reviewed’ link.” Seems likely that if the student qualifies via SI, that would be noted in the same place since it’s for the same goal of designating the student eligible to be given a spot somewhere within the UC system.

neat!

A post was merged into an existing topic: UC Santa Barbara Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion