UC Santa Cruz Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

@Gumbymom mentioned up thread that UCSC admits a fair chunk from the wait list. So, if her heart is in it, just hang in there and she might get that admit when all’s said and done.

5 Likes

I hope so, but who knows what this cycle will be like?

1 Like

Sadly, they totally missed the mark with my kid!

2 Likes

I am hoping the resolution of the Berkeley cut will mean lots of schools will now be going to their waitlists, and our kids get the trickle down benefit. Or not, and they end up at Riverside or SDSU together…

2 Likes

Does anyone know what the % of students are political science at SC?

1 Like

S22 waitlisted for engineering with a 4.33 capped GPA and 4.67 weighted uncapped. ECs and strong essays.

4 Likes

We can only hope. :crossed_fingers:
I am just sad because UCSC was not a reach at all, more of a safety really.
Even when you are aware that the UCs can be unpredictable, it hurts when you want it so badly and your application had everything that UCSC could have wanted.
This is such an emotional roller coaster! All the best for you and your kid too.

6 Likes

Waitlisted
UC gpa 4.16
biology major

1 Like

the only UC safeties left are at Merced, especially impacted majors…

4 Likes

You mean safety?

ha! yes, edited.

1 Like

True, but I am not aware that political science is impacted. Is it? I understand that engineering or computer science are a different kettle of fish everywhere.

1 Like

And even UC Merced for impacted majors may not be a safety if you did not directly apply. ELC guarantees you will be admitted into a UC if you did not get into your choice UC’s, however they do have a statement that says “only if space is available”. Some referrals have not gotten in their choice major in the last few years.

4 Likes

If it is any consolation, UCSC did take 6633 applicants off the waitlist last year while many of the UC’s barely accepted any waitlisted applicants.

Also UC Davis is a great option for a Political Science major with the state capital just 20 minutes away.

12 Likes

Waitlisted : Human Biology
UCW: 4.1
Weighted: 4.38
5 APs
EC: Several leadership roles, SciOly SOCAL winner, UCLA research on Delta Variant, 12 years classical dance and diploma, Leader of Best choir in SOCAL
National Scholar of Distinction

1 Like

Accepted!!
Major: Literature
W gpa: 4.5
5 APs
In state

I was pretty bummed after being waitlisted from Davis which was my top choice but SC was my second!!! High chance I will commit here.

12 Likes

Congrats! My son goes there and really likes the campus. Did your acceptance come through today?

Admit rate for Human Bio with UC Capped GPA around 4.1 was 89% across 2020 and 2021 admission cycles. I would expect an admit should you decide to accept the waitlist. This 89% is of course inclusive of original admits + waitlist admits.

Keep the faith!

3 Likes

The admit rate across 2020 and 2021 cycles for PoliSci was 93% for folks in the 4.34 GPA range. I would expect UCSC to come through.

For anyone who hasn’t seen it - admit rates by major available here
https://iraps.ucsc.edu/iraps-public-dashboards/student-demand/admissions-funnel.html

5 Likes

Rejected. 4.8 UW GPA, 4.08 weighted GPA, 7APs and plenty of ECs. I just don’t know what the UCs are looking for. Rejected from Davis also. Political Science major.

1 Like