**ucb waitlist discussion for class of 2024**

@jaffa1

Considering UCLA has an increase in In State Yield, and still say many more Californians will get in off the WL, and Cal has a slight decrease in In state yield, would you say in staters also have a good chance even on Cal’s WL?

Two years is the normal transfer window, but I have a family member that was a freshman transfer becasue UCB started Fall with under enrollment. Students can always be added, but an over population creates more problems. As some point, admissions will draw the line and just go with what enrollment they have. Has anyone ever heard that admissions went into late May or beyond?

@CaliBoy2024 - when you say “freshman transfer”, do you mean these are freshmen from OTHER schools who are transferring to Cal as FRESHMEN, or do you mean that these are students (potentially on the WL now) who will be admitted for the Spring semester? I spoke to a college advisor today at a Bay Area junior college who said that it is virtually impossible to transfer to Berkeley as a lower division transfer (We were asking about the possibility of reapplying to Cal after one year at a JC).

hey yall! i accidentally checked off the fpf box on my waitlist application without knowing what it meant:( if i get in, will i have a choice do to fpf or regular? if not, is it too late to change my application now?

Do y’all think in-staters who are full pay have a higher chance of getting in as well?

@collegeappacc Absolutely.

Brutally honest question, @cranbur, but one that I’m sure has been kicked around during the admissions dept. ZOOM meetings. @Gumbymom, the forum leader here, has stated that the admissions’ policy is they must be blind to the financial aid status of applicants. We are in such an upside down moment right now, that I don’t think that anything can be ruled out.

If accepted, are we allowed to choose a roommate still - do we choose other waitlist people or people who were admitted the first round? I really don’t want to get a random roommate.

@akjerae1 I’m having the same concern…I can’t find information any about it

“Within the Housing application, you’ll be asked to answer questions that will help match you with a suitable roommate. You also may request roommates by creating a roommate group. The group leader will need to look up and invite each student using the Student Identification (SID) number. Each person will need to confirm their membership in the roommate group for our office to review their request. We try our best to honor roommate requests, but are sometimes unable to do so. We recommend all members of the roommate group have identical housing preferences to maximize the chance of being placed together.”
→ This is what is on Berkeley’s website about requesting a roommate, but it doesn’t mention waitlisted students…
As long as the housing application is not due until after waitlist decisions come out, I’m sure we could still request a roommate.

I’m pretty sure the housing application is due May 1 for the students who got in regular decision… and for the waitlist students, it’s due one week after we receive our decision.

They’re obviously not gonna release decisions today so is there any chance of them doing it over the weekend?

I’d say any time after May 1st is possible. Based on last year, 5/8 seems most likely but they might just start over the weekend because of miss rona.

I think I once saw a Reddit post where it said that they released a wave on 2nd May. Maybe they did in 2018.

UC Prez says none of the campuses will be fully open this Fall. This is not a shocker, but now it’s official. I wouldn’t get worked up about not finding a roommate by August, because most likely your roommates will be your parents.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/University-of-California-coronavirus-reopening-15239824.php

@scambro I interpreted this differently. There will likely be a “mix” of online and on-campus classes. Based on prior news articles, they may also be giving students the option to be online only. This does not mean that students won’t be allowed back on campus entirely.

I believe we will have the option to live on campus or not. Again, they did say on-campus housing is not guaranteed, but we should be able to have the option.

@emom05 and @kr99977 you’re both probably right. I was just making a flippant remark. SOME campus activity is much better than none. But the housing situation is very much up in the air. It is a HUGE source or revenue for school, but there is no way that I see students having shared rooms less than 4 months from now. They could do single rooms, and social distancing in dining halls. This would at least be some amount of a revenue stream for schools, albeit limited. Housing wouldn’t be guaranteed, and probably significantly more expensive for a single room.

This scenario could also highlight an ugly disparity among students, where students of greater means can afford to live in the dorms, leaving those with less means out in the cold. Then maybe the schools cap the housing costs at their current rate. Sorry, total stream of consciousness here.

D got in this morning. IS for Cog Sci.

Sorry, my bad. Not Cal, UCLA.