**ucb waitlist discussion for class of 2024**

@FallAutumnLeaf so sorry for your loss.

@FallAutumnLeaf Oh my goodness I am so very sorry to hear that. And what you said is so true
there really are much more important things in life than college. I hope you’re doing alright <3

Sending positive vibes to everyone on the waitlist! I hope we all get in
 :heart:

@FallAutumnLeaf sorry for your loss :heart:

@xtanyax His exact words, last week, were that Cal would determine, “at the end of the week”, how many spaces it needed to fill and it would commence filling the spaces. I extrapolated “end of the week” to mean Thursday or Friday.

@jaffa1 would it be unheard of for them to mean the weekend? I know that all we can do is speculate but I really cant hold out any longer

I really think that if Cal waits any longer to start sending out waitlist acceptances, they are going to be in trouble of having a lot of students losing interest in attending. I am not sure about you guys, but I put some value in a school getting back to more early; I have more time to truly fall in/out of love with it. The longer they hold out, the more likely is that students will want to finalize their plans for the fall, especially in the great uncertainty of these times.

If they don’t start taking off students from the WL by Friday, I am probably going to move on from actively pursuing a spot. Even if I am not pulled off this week, it will be good to at least know that their gears have begun to churn and at any time I might be accepted.

anyone know how frequently waves are released? like if some of us don’t get in on tomorrow’s wave, will we have to wait another week, or a few days?

@eeee2618 I was rejected to Cal but since I am appealing I have looked into the prior years for Berkeley activity. It seems that in the last few years, Berkeley typically releases its first wave of wait lists late in the first full week of may. The second wave will then come late in the second full week of May. Appeal acceptances will be released 2 hours after the second wait list wave. A third wave of wait lists is rare. Then on May 31st or June 1st, the rejections to all Wait lists or appeals will be released.

I am honestly surprised that they have waited this long without any waves yet considering this situation. I kinda hope they start releasing waves tomorrow?

@FallAutumnLeaf Deepest condolences for your loss. Yes, things back in perspective

Yeah I hope they have a wave tomorrow, I really don’t know if i can wait until Friday for the first wave

@cjd114 damn so only two waves? Thanks though, and good luck to you!

Should we still expect the portal change glitch to occur? Since its been happening for the past two years it might as well happen this year too right

I would assume that the glitch has a good chance of happening this year on the day that decisions are released because if we have learned anything from being on this waitlist, it’s that the Berkeley portal has LOTS of glitches
So I would expect to have the same glitch as last year where the waitlist FAQ changes to an admitted student FAQ a few hours before decisions are released
Unless by some chance they have fixed that glitch. But from all of the glitches we have been seeing, I doubt that they have.

I really hope all of us get off tomorrow!

@jaffa1 im not sure but wouldn’t the in state acceptance rate be higher cause u said like 100 percent of inter/ oos and 50 for in state. Just curious on why the inter/oos would be higher since they need to accept mostly in state students.

The logic is that the instate yield is pretty ok, but the out of state and international yields are down, meaning they must accept more oos and into students. Furthermore, Cal needs the cash that oos and intl students pay

Talked to a friend and fellow UCB alum today (I graduated in the 90s. My son on the WL now). One of his good friends is high up in the Student Affairs organizational structure at UCB. I was told this from my friend, who heard it directly from his friend.

‘EMAILS WILL BE SENT OUT ON FRIDAY’

That is all i know. I don’t know the time. I don’t know who is included in the email list in terms of colleges, IN, OOS, and Intl. I don’t know how deep the WL will be used. I don’t know if it will trickle out or be a blast. The only thing I can speculate is that it will include In-State, because my friend specifically asked about my son, and if this person knew anything about his status. (we are In-state). And the reply was:

EMAILS GO OUT ON FRIDAY.

So I am only the messenger. I can only repeat what I was told. I believe that this person would know what is going on because they are or have been directly involved with Undergraduate student affairs/Financial aid/admissions/registration.

feel free to ask me questions but I can only give you my best guess.

Also a higher acceptance rate for oos doesn’t necessarily mean more oos students getting in bc there are presumably more is students than oos students on the waitlist .