UCI vs UCSD

Here’s some information about me:
-majoring Civil Engineering(could double major CS)
-got into Warren at UCSD
-not really a party person
-would rather hang out with a smallish group of friends
-know a couple of high school friends also going to ucsd
-really care about the education
-costs are important
-traveling back home is negligible
I haven’t been to either campus, may over spring break though.
I know SD only has a structural engineering program, I definitely have to figure out my specialization.

So what would you guys recommend? I think I would go to Irvine for versatility, idk though

Anyone?

I think you can probably find your tribe at either school, so you may want to look at some hard numbers. Here’s a little link to some fairly current top-level comparisons of the UC’s:

https://www.thoughtco.com/comparison-university-of-california-campuses-786974

I would especially look at 4-year graduation rates. What this tells you is that it’s probably to get the classes you need, on average, at UCSD with a 59% vs. a 71% for Irvine. If getting in and out in the shortest amount of time is important to you, this statistic should be considered. I do not know if the stats exist for specific major, but it looks like the engineering majors tend to skew UCSD a bit lower.

You really should make an attempt to visit both campuses before making a decision. They each have their own look and feel. Both are very highly ranked as national public schools.

Thanks, this is definitely something I’ll consider. I’m probably going to Triton day and then whatever preview day Irvine has. It’s going to be a hard choice but both of these are bound to have something for me.

Except that the graduation rates in that link do not appear to match those found at https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/infocenter/ug-outcomes .

College graduation rates mostly align with admission selectivity; you have to be careful to try to separate out these selection effects from the treatment effects associated with the same student attending one school versus another.

Irvine is a great school and not big on parties. Also, it’s the 4th safest city in California lol. definitely recommend checking it out at least!