UCLA Admissions Class of 2026 Discussion

I don’t know for sure but my understanding was that few UCs allowed a lot of deferrals in 2020. UC Davis was the exception, if I remember right. I’m pretty sure there weren’t kids at UCLA who were allowed to defer a year and who started in 2021. There definitely were students who decided not to go or who stayed closer to home etc. that year, and waitlists moved pretty much everywhere in 2020. But at UCs it wasn’t by and large due to deferrals. Last year was miserable for waitlists (other than UCSC and a few here and there at the others) despite predictions from many experts that they would get widely used all over the country. It just didn’t pan out that way at selective schools. Will be interesting to see what happens this year.

1 Like

Yes that is true.

Congrats everyone who was admitted on Friday! Please feel free to tag me or DM me if you have any questions about life as a Bruin! Hope you join our class of 2026!

11 Likes

My kid was a 2020 UCLA admit. She was not allowed to defer without losing her acceptance. She would have had to reapply.

3 Likes

GPA and stats. I notice some really qualified kids getting rejected and waitlisted. Does UCLA just get that many great candidates. I assume they do. I see it in other forums for the schools that my sons got into though as well. I think there is a lot of variables in how GPAs are calculated across the country. When I see a 4.0 Unweighted to me that means a student has never received a B in their life. A lot of weighted GPAs I think are completely ignored by admissions. They just review your transcripts see you grades then review how many AP, Honors and IB classes. I have to think transcripts are the driving factor. All the extras are so very subjective and open to “creative embellishment” I wonder what weight they carry. Same for essay skills. Certainly an interesting process.

1 Like

My daughter accepted to musical theater. But she wants to have a minor major as well. What are the next steps?
Thanks

The majority of the 150,000 UCLA Freshman applicants are well qualified. Unfortunately, 90% will be either waitlisted or denied admission since UCLA will probably only admit 15,000 Freshman. 6 of the Top 10 most applied Universities in the US are UC schools. That is saying something on the desirability and quality of the schools and applicants.

5 Likes

GPA and stats. I notice some really qualified kids getting rejected and waitlisted. Does UCLA just get that many great candidates. I assume they do.

It was posted up thread that UCLA sent out approximately 134,000 rejections.

I think there is a lot of variables in how GPAs are calculated across the country. When I see a 4.0 Unweighted to me that means a student has never received a B in their life. A lot of weighted GPAs I think are completely ignored by admissions.

The UCs calculate GPA using 10th and 11th grades. See here for how the UC GPA is calculated. A student could have received a B prior to 10th grade or in 12th grade and still have a 4.0 unweighted UC GPA.

I have to think transcripts are the driving factor. All the extras are so very subjective and open to “creative embellishment” I wonder what weight they carry. Same for essay skills.

Were talking about applications to higher education so reviewing high school GPA, course rigor, and academic performance are a priority. The UCs evaluate applicants based on the same 13 factors which can be found here. UCLA’s review process can be found here.

Is anyone or their child on TikTok? My daughter has been seeing loads of students who got rejected from UCLA and now look like they are spiraling towards a mental breakdown. Tons of students questioning their self worth and wondering if the last 4 years of their lives were a waste. Many sacrificed their mental health just to get rejected and it’s the sad reality of college admissions that I think many of us forget.

8 Likes

there are still 2 more UC schools coming out

2 Likes

True. Also the fact that California has such a huge population.
428,000+ HS seniors graduate each year from CA, vs 183,000 from NY (the next highest state). That’s a huge gap!

6 Likes

I am also astounded by all the unweighted 4.0s… your kids have never had a B? My kids go to a very rigorous private school and ever year our valedictorian and salutatorian will have had at least a few Bs. Hopefully they’re looking at rigor and class rank along with that unweighted GPA.

3 Likes

that puts it in perspective

my kid goes to very rigorous private school as well and at the school the kids fight for the coveted A+. its a boarding school with a large international population and that is the main reason they are here to get the coveted us education (kudos to the US) but yes these kids work incredibly hard. my child has 1 A- in all 4 years. the rest were A A+ grades and was club athlete and 3 varsity sports blah blah so these kids are incredible. my son was accepted ucla 2 years ago and did have 4 Bs on trancript but also had 15 AP classes so it really depends on your high school, where they place in their own high school and rigor of their curriculum etc. so much goes into application process and admissions counselors work incredibly hard to sift through it all!!

1 Like

The unweighted 4.0 is unheard of at our school. We have a population of international students as well, but they aren’t getting unweighted 4.0s either.

also the international students come in taking calculus their freshman year. our system not set up for that.

by the way their is a link on the uc website that you can look up your high school to see how many kids applied / were accepted. also i believe the regional counselors are familiar with their area high school so they will know the rigor of your school and whether there is grade inflation (i believe but verify that)

1 Like

Here’s the link you mentioned.

1 Like

Yes, never a B. One of the most rigorous urban public schools in our area. Took 7 AP classes in STEM focus. As a junior, in a class full of seniors, she got the only A in AP calculus AB.

5 Likes

thank you for posting

1 Like

We do have students get into UCs every year. I’ve looked at the data from our school, but it isn’t terribly enlightening and I’m not sure it’s accurate. We don’t have historical data in naviance or scoir for long enough to track trends. We’ll apply and hope for the best for S23, but we have to make sure he has other options.