UCLA and UC Berkeley ELC admissions rate?

The common dataset set uses unweighted GPA (out of 4.0) scale. Even though UC’s do not use class ranking for admissions, apparently they use some type of ranking for their statistical data on the common dataset. I was just trying to make a point, stating you need to be a top student to get into UCLA/UCB…
For UCLA:
C10. Percent of all degree-seeking, first-time, first-year (freshman) students who had high school class rank within each of the following ranges (report information for those students from whom you collected high school rank information).

Percent in top tenth of high school graduating class 97%
Percent in top quarter of high school graduating class 100%
Percent in top half of high school graduating class 100%
Percent in bottom half of high school graduating class 0%
Percent in bottom quarter of high school graduating class 0%
Percent of total first-time, first-year (freshmen) students who submitted high school class rank: 100%

I agree, ELC does not have any bearing on if you will be accepted or not, but since these schools are competitive, you expect applicants to be in the top percentile of their HS or state.

Re: #20

The “class rank” that UCs are likely to have access to for CDS reporting and other purposes is that which can be derived from ELC data.

Being ELC in and of itself does not help/hurt you in college admissions. However, not having good grades/challenging yourself at school (which are what can make you in the top 9% and therefore make you ELC) are important. But it’s not top 9% or bust; you just have to be a good student.

Another thing people haven’t mentioned: an upward GPA trend is really good. If someone says “oh, wow, their freshman GPA was dismal, but they improved sophomore/junior year,” then that’s good. On another note, as far as UC’s are concerned, a UC GPA is calculated only by sophomore and junior years, so they may notice your trend but it’s not calculated in your GPA.

So, basically, you don’t have a 98% worse chance. I hope this clears everything up!

1 Like

ELC is calculated based on UC a-g for grades 10 and 11 only. For both UCLA and UCB, ELC status is taken into account in the application review process.

I did not have ELC status when I applied last year but was accepted to UCLA and other UCs. I was denied admission to UCB. Btw, I did not find out that I didn’t get ELC until I submitted my application. I was really surprised (and bummed) that I didn’t get it because I was ranked in the top 6th percent in my high school based on weighted gpa.

Good luck to you!