Elc

<p>Are 9-10 grades and class ranks used in determining ELC eligibility or the 10-12 GPA and class rank? Also, if a person is not exactly in the top 4% of their class but say it comes out as 4.7% or 4.9%, would they still be eligible for ELC?</p>

<p>Soph & Junior grades only. ELC is top 4.000% plus ties, so unless there are a LOT of ties, 4.9% ain’t even close.</p>

<p>So pretty much, they take your 10-12 class rank and punch it into a calculator?</p>

<p>No, they take your 10-11 courses (a-g only) and “punch” those into the computer-in-the-sky. (Senior grades do not count for ELC.)</p>

<p>How do they factor it out to check who the top 4% is then? Also, what if some people took more classes than other people, so their GPA is watered out?</p>

<p>What if you punch your class rank in and it comes out to 4.09% or 4.1%?</p>

<p>Thanks for answering!</p>

<p>How much does being ELC help you or not being ELC hurt you in UC admissions? I’m actually rank 28 out of 578 (10-12) where as top 23 would be ELC.</p>

<p>It really hurts to know that I’m SO close. It hurts worse knowing that some kids who are ELC took easier classes and did well. Also like the poster above me mentioned, me GPA was a little watered out because I took band sophomore and junior year and music theory junior year (and got B+'s in music theory). If I didn’t take music theory, it would have made about a .2 difference in my GPA. </p>

<p>Anyway, the point is, how much will it hurt me if I wanted to apply to schools like UCSD and UCLA and I am not ELC?</p>

<p>^It really just depends on how your GPA and test scores are and all that stuff. If they’re good, your chances are still good.</p>

<p>Tents:</p>

<p>It is pure math. It does not matter if someone takes 4 classes or 7 per semester. The top 4% (plus ties) as ranked by UC, based on a-g courses + honors bonus points, uncapped, are ELC. </p>

<p>Lorando:</p>

<p>SD gives bonus points for ELC, so it helps, but it’s not significant. The vast majority of acceptees to UCLA are ELC but that is due to their academic record + ECs + essays, not bcos they were ELC per se.</p>

<p>@Tents, UCs request the schools to submit the top 12.5% of students based on the school GPA calculation. UCs then use the the UC standard to calculate the top 4%. The 8.5% buffer ensures that no one is left out of the ELC calculation.</p>

<p>If you are within the top 12.5% at your school, your file will be evaluated by the UCs for ELC.</p>

<p>@Lorando, since you are within the top 12.5%, your file will be evaluated by the UCs for ELC. UCs that are on point system assign specific number of points for ELC applicants. For other UCs, you get brownie points for ELC.</p>

<p>I know everyone things UCLA considers ELC, but it does not; I verified this with an admissions officer and an application reader for UCLA. Berkeley considers ELC, but it’s a wash because the top students are all very competitive (this information was from an application reader for Cal).</p>

<p>How do I apply for ELC? Will my counselor give me something to fill out? (I’m a rising Senior.)</p>

<p>If you’re in the top 12.5%, your school should have given you a transcript request form to sign. After you sign it and turn it in, you’re giving permission to your school to send your transcripts to the UC for ELC eligibility review.</p>

<p>UCs look at your A-G courses from 10-11th grade and see if you’re in the top 4% of your graduating class. If you are, you start getting letters from certain UCs saying that you’re automatically guaranteed admission for their campus as long as you apply.</p>

<p>Otherwise, there’s really no way to apply for ELC. The only thing you do really is stay in the top 12.5% and fill out the transcript request form.</p>

<p>At least, that’s how it went down at my school. (I almost didn’t turn in the transcript request form)</p>

<p>ELC is designed to help students in poor schools who couldn’t compete otherwise. It is an alternative to being “eligible in the statewide context”. Whether you are eligible via ELC, statewide context, or test only, I think it’s all the same.</p>

<p>Ok, sometimes ELC kids get guaranteed into a mid tier and statewide is only guaranteed.</p>

<p>ELC is a program that high schools can elect to participate, so not all high schools offer ELC. Generally schools in well-to-do neighborhoods tend to offer ELC because the district can afford the resources required to run the program; which is a little bit messed up in my opinion. But all students are afforded guarantees through Statewide Eligibility, although slightly less desirable (guarantees to Merced).</p>

<p>The Statewide Eligibility and ELC are both changing in 2012. It would be interesting see how things will pan out.</p>

<p>How does ELC work for students applying to multiple UCs, including those that offer guaranteed ELC acceptance? Say, someone applies to UCB and UCLA and is also considering UCD. UCB, I believe has a relatively high acceptance rate for ELC students (according to Fall 2009 data), UCLA’s ELC acceptance rate is unknown to me and UCD offers guaranteed acceptance. Can the student apply and pay the application fee for UCB and UCLA only, but list UCD as their back-up choice if UCB and UCLA reject them? That is, without officially applying to UCD from the start?</p>

<p>The ELC guarantee campuses will accept all ELC applicants. Thus, if you apply to all of the guarantee campuses, you will be admitted to all of them. (Note, that a guarantee campus does not necessarily guarantee admission to a specialized program like dance/theater or engineering, just liberal arts admissions).</p>

<p>UCB and UCLA do not care about ELC per se.</p>

<p>

You would have to apply and pay the application fee to UCD (or any guaranteed campus) by November 30th to take advantage of the guarantee. If a UC-eligible applicant only applies to UCLA and UCB and is rejected from both, they will be *referred *to a campus with room - most often that campus turns out to be Merced.</p>

<p>^Thanks very much.</p>

<p>Has anyone received an ELC letter yet this year? Just wondering if they have gone out yet.</p>

<p>it really isnt a difficult topic, if you are in the top 4 % and meet the requirements then you have it. If you are top 4.01 % then you dont get it.</p>

<p>I think that saying it’s an easy topic may be a stretch. ELC ranks and computes GPS differently than most schools (and even the UC GPA calc). They do not weight honors courses unless it is a weighted class in the golden doors catelogue, and in comparison to the UC GPA calc, they weight all class (not just 8 credits). This can make a schools rankings very different than ELC, especially if a school weights honor classes. My son has a 4.0 unweighted, with 12 weighted grades, but this does not guarantee him a spot in ELC. He was a selected candidate (top 12%), but still if there are 14 (his class has 350) other kids with better GPA’s after this calculation. he does not get it.</p>