UCLA Class of 2023 Discussion

@lkg4answers Seems like a better idea would be to figure out a way to speed up the acceptance process. I realize that UCLA gets a ton of applications, but they are competing with schools like U of M, which started admitting students in mid-December. That gives U of M a three-month head start in wooing its admits via Campus Days and the like.

@reinawrites A few posts up I wrote that all campus life emails are generic and sent to everyone. Only regents, alumni, and discover engineering emails are related to admission prospects. When the emails are released isn’t public info.

@10s4life Ah gotcha! That’s helpful. :slight_smile: thanks so much for all your info!

@JoelShoe I guess that was my exact point. I have gotten into other schools who are already sending me info on housing, activities and campus life. It is like they are wining and dining me, and I like that. I don’t like the mindgames of getting those types of emails before I am officially accepted.

@college2019bound @JoelShoe I totally understand the frustration. Its also worth to note that the emails UCLA or many other colleges send aren’t meant to play mind games with applicants. Campus life emails are very common for schools to send whether or not you’re gonna get in or not. Its just advertising. As for the regents and alumni scholarship invites, well applicants aren’t supposed to know that there’s correlations with getting in. For the general applicant they’ll get the email, decide to apply or not and not think too much about it. CC posters tend to be on the more observant side of the spectrum. The only reason why people know alumni scholarship invitees have a correlation to getting admitted is because posters with connections to UCLA have revealed that information on the side. Once decisions come out UCLA will “wine and dine” students admitted, trust me they bring out the red carpet for Bruin Day. But California public schools cannot participate in early action or decisions which is why decisions come out in March. Which is still ahead of Ivy league schools normal decision release dates. The sheer volume of freshman applicants to UCLA is well beyond any other school in the nation and it is a huge endeavor to give each application the time to evaluate it.

@10s4life Thank you. That all makes sense. I appreciate your thorough response. :slight_smile:

However, UCBerkeley sent out early acceptance almost three weeks ago, and they have done that since, I believe, 2016. Since majority of CA students apply to both, I wish UCLA could do the same thing. I don’t think they deliberately play the mind game, but why not just tell regents candidates they are admitted? Wooing your top students, tell them you want them, make them feel welcomed, instead of
”you are invited to apply, but we can’t tell you if you get in”, unnecessary stress for students and parents. Sorry, all my opinion.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone received an admittance decision last week? Someone I know claimed to have gotten a conditional offer from UCLA and I thought it was kind of fishy since from what I know, admissions don’t come out until mid march.

@nna7taliep There have been reports in the past of conditional offers for truly exceptional and unique applicants. Think celebrities, child genuises, or very well heeled donors. Otherwise its prob a hoax.

Does anyone know if UCLA only admits a certain number of students from each high school, specifically OOS? Like if there were 10 really well qualified people who applied, would they limit the number to 2 from the school? Or could they accept all 10 who had similar stats, good EC, whatever else

@columbialions21 Contrary to popular belief UCLA does not have a quota for high schools

@nna7taliep one of my daughter’s classmates got an offer from UCLA, so they have sent out at least some. I don’t know any other details.

What’s the notification date for everyone?

@alwalw - “Decision for most freshman applicants will be released mid-March”
http://www.admission.ucla.edu/applicant/notify.htm

Then can we expect on March 15th, being Friday?

@Suave123 i recall @10s4life saying it was March 22
the next Friday
?

@sammygrammy That is one of two very likely dates. I can’t comment on the official one. Stay patient!

I was sent an alumni scholarship invite email a few weeks ago. After I submitted it, the page said everything that needed to be filled out was filled out. However, when I just checked this morning, it said I was missing my application for regents, and it allows me to click on the question and even submit my response (although I haven’t yet). And it says today is the deadline, is this another glitch?

@Khaverlo Same for my D also
she submitted her Alumni Scholarship and now they want her to submit the Regents
might be a glitch as per the previous posts

Yes its a glitch if u hv not recd regents email invite. My D confirmed it with FA office a week back