UCLA Class of 2023 Discussion

@teambyerline You’re right!
The second one is definitely an estimate but I guess my main question was that if I don’t see any awards currently on my portal, does that mean I will get no aid from the school, or is there a chance that I’ll see financial aid after I give my SIR?

@10s4life do you think UCSB is more a party school? If so, in what ways? My son hates the drinking/party scene, and i can’t imagine him in Greek life.

Does anyone knows what is the acceptance rate this year?

@BeCheap4me2 For guys, UCSB and isla vista means so many people get to party. Day parties, night parties, there’s already soemthing going. Of course that is a bit of a generalization. There are kids who spend a lot of time studying. Greek parties aren’t the main ones there’s tons of apartment ones. It’s easier access for everyone.

UCLA is a bit different in that the party scene is heavily regulated by the university. Pretty much fraternity parties are the only ones to go (apartment parties are smaller and get rolled easily by ucpd). And girls are the only ones allowed as guys have to be members of the house. So because of that the party scene is a lot smaller since it’s a specific set of people that have access. So if your sons more studious then UCLA is the way to go over UCSB. It’s available for sure at UCLA but not the dominant culture.

@Gumbymom is newbruins@admission.edu the right email that I need to send my email? (This is the email I got from calling them, just want to make sure I got the right address )

@WilliamCollege: It looks like the right email address.

Should that be “newbruins” with an “r”?

@fntzmk: I thought it might be a typo but it should be with an “r”. There is also the contact form: @WilliamCollege: https://www.admission.ucla.edu/ContactForm/NewBruins.aspx

@fntzmk yes there is a r lol I just fixed it

I found out today that one of the girl’s at my school got into UCLA with a 940 SAT score and a 4.2ish weighted gpa ?!?! We were all pretty shocked by it. I’m guessing UCLA really does look at the personal insight questions mostly.

@10s4life thank you! the info is helpful. Are dorms pretty regulated too? by the way, are the dorms ALL gender bathroom/shower rooms? (remember I am old and can’t imagine showering next to boys). Just an honest ?

@PencilPouch314 can that be? 940??? Is that a score?

@Itiznotfare Apparently, lower than 14% this year. UCLA instagram account replied to comments saying they did not hit 14%, but it’s still in the double digits.

@BeCheap4me2 Dorms are multiple gender floors, same gender rooms and bathrooms. “Dorm parties” are easily busted by RAs. Individual alcohol consumption in the rooms goes by the rule of the RA can’t see it m, hear it, or smell it then it doesn’t exist.

@PencilPouch314 I think they really did look at the personal insight questions, because I think I did well on them and I got accepted with a 1320 SAT which is probably around the 15th percentile of UCLA’s SAT scores…

My D is super excited right now. She scheduled a tour at 11 on this Saturday. Looks like the tours for new admits is campus & dorm.
Maybe we will see some from here there.

@911Yellow Well yes, it’s holistic review. Congrats on your admittance :). Being accepted with a 1320 is not too uncommon, and is a competitive enough score (especially instate), and along with your essays, probably got you in. It is said that UCLA looks at numbers more than essays and ECs, but I know people in the 1200s on their SAT who get in.

Accepted!

In-state
Major: Biochemistry
GPA: 4.0 UW, 4.8 W
31 ACT
Great essays, very strong ECs

Based on last year’s statistics the average SAT score for admitted students was like 1460. OOS + international only then it’s about 1490. So definitely uncommon with low 1300s. And yes UCLA does practice holistic review - all part of your application matters (it’s clearly stated on their website). Don’t know where that “numbers only” rumor came from…

Waitlisted

Out of state (I’m all the way from the east coast lol)
Major: Computer Engineering
GPA: 3.94 UW, 4.45 W
36 ACT, 1570 SAT, 800 Math II and Physics
Decent ECs, good recommendations, great essays

Let’s see what happens I guess