UCLA Class of 2024 Discussion

One year of VAPA. Here is the A-G requirements.

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/admission-requirements/freshman-requirements/subject-requirement-a-g.html

Thank you so much!

Is regents out yet? I thought those don’t come out until March? I only know alumni is out because I received that email, but I haven’t received any confirmation from others at my school about regents.

A few of my son’s friends got Regent Scholar Invitation email today. He was sad that he didn’t get one.

His stat is pretty good: 36 ACT, 4.7 GPA, a ton of community college courses (i.e. Calculus 1-3, General Chem and O-Chem), lots of volunteer hours and leadership position.

However, he did get an invite for Alumni Scholarship. When logged on to the Scholarship/Financial Aid portal (https://prospective-ugstudents-ucla.academicworks.com/applications), it shows both Alumni and Regents as recommended opportunities.

Does it mean anyone can apply to both?

@maya721812 I think Berkeley Regents is out and UCLA as well. I believe the other UCs notify of regents much later or on their “regular” admit day in march.

@Joy2009 I think the UCLA Regents application might ask for a code that was sent to invitees. When you click on the title of the scholarship, it says,

I notice you’ve made this comment on every single post on this topic both here and on Reddit. I’d point out a few things. First of all, there’s pretty clear evidence that not everybody got the email. Second, maybe that somebody from your school had amazing extracurriculars or a strong hook, or maybe they’re in a department with different admissions requirements, like audition or portfolio - a completely different process. Most importantly, the minimum GPA for UCLA is 3.0; so I don’t know why they’d waste their time and resources emailing people who were automatically rejected. Maybe that person simply was lying about getting the email to save face. I don’t know how this works better than anyone else, but you’ve made a lot of posts stating conjecture as fact. I hope you’ll be diligent enough to update them all if you find out that for whatever reason that person got in.

When my student submits the application for the Alumni Scholarship do we also need to submit the FAFSA? We haven’t and were not planning to do so unless required. Thanks for any help.

Per the website, the Alumni Scholarship is merit and leadership based, but “Additional need-based grants are available to students who demonstrate financial need as determined by the Alumni Scholarships Program and the Financial Aid Office. You may receive up to $5,000 for your first year in addition to your merit scholarship award.”

@Joy2009 …I was just coming on here to ask the same question. When my son logs into his UCLA Scholarship portal both The Alumni Scholar and The Regent are there. He did not receive an email for the Regent with a code. He did receive an email to apply to the Alumni Scholar. We are both a little confused.

I have to agree @WhimsicalSquid re: whether everyone got the email given that for the 2018-2019 admissions cycle UCLA received 111,322 applications (13,720 admits). This year UCLA will likely have very similar numbers, so I find it hard to believe UCLA would send out approximately 110,000 invitations to apply for a scholarship.

@WhimsicalSquid Great point! Thank you. @oaksinfog https://www.ucop.edu/institutional-research-academic-planning/_files/factsheets/2020/table-1.1-freshman-applications-by-campus-and-residency.pdf

Hi @Heyryan227 lol. I was just about to edit my post to cite my source for stats.

UCLA Admissions webpage: https://www.apb.ucla.edu/campus-statistics/admissions

So, from your citation, preliminary data for 2020 indicate 108,837 applications. Thanks for the link.

There are two types of emails

1. Alumni scholarship
  2. Regents scholarship (which has a unique code in the email)

I’m not sure if UCLA has started rolling out emails for regents scholarship.

Alumni Scholarship Program is merit based.

Yes, emails inviting students to apply for regents went out yesterday starting around 2 pm. See posts #210 and #211. The UCLA email included a personal code to apply for the scholarship.

Interview invites come after your scholarship application is submitted and reviewed.

I got regents invite for UCLA and UCB! UCB guaranteed admission, but UCLA didn’t. I got both emails around 3:30PST. It sounds like I’m likely to get into UCLA, but not a guarantee?

I’m very confused sorry. Does everyone receive the email for alumni scholarship? I did but it seems so did everyone else.

Hi
How much alumni scholarship a student receive per year?
Is it a portion of the tuition or entire tuition for in state students?
Thanks