UCLA Class of 2024 Discussion

Does anyone know when financial aid info will be released?

ACCEPTED!!! this is a dream come true oh my god UCLA has been my dream school for years and I never thought I would actually get in. I remember pacing my room last summer just thinking about it and I made a chance me thread lol. Also got waitlisted from Georgetown right before opening UCLA so I was kinda discouraged

In state applicant; NorCal
Female Asian
No Hooks

Major: Biochemistry
1590 SAT one sitting, 790 English 800 Math
800 MATH 2
800 CHEMISTRY
4.33 W GPA
UC GPA: 4.47
EC: hospital volunteer, peer tutoring, school clubs, local mental health organization volunteer, community event volunteering, recreational soccer for 8 years but quit after sophomore year, community college classes over summer 2019, family responsibilities, worked part time
Awards: AP Scholar with distinction, National Merit Commended Student, California Forestry Challenge 2nd Place
Essays: UC essays were my best out of all the ones I wrote for college applications

Accepted: UCD, UCSB (chancellors invite), UCI (honors college plus regents), UCSD, UCLA
Rejected: UPenn (applied ED), Johns Hopkins, WashU
Waitlisted: Georgetown
Waiting on: Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Berkeley, Duke, USC

Weakpoints: Extracurriculars definitely; no leadership at all
Strong points: Essays and stats

I was accepted to TFT for a major in Theater - Musical Theater Emphasis!

SAT: 1510
ACT: 34
GPA: 4.04 Weighted, 3.87 Weighted (capped), 3.69 UW
EC’s: Extreme amounts of theater, animal rescue volunteering, 3 summer programs (UCLA, USC, NYU)
Essays were solid, audition was solid.

Accepted w/ $25,000 in academic and artistic merit scholarships.
Out of State.

hi everyone! first of all congrats to everyone that got in. i got waitlisted and had the option of submitting a (max) 7,000 word essay. obviously I need time to craft it, but I was wondering if there was a correlation between the time in which I submit that essay and the time where I hear back if I got taken off of the waitlist. ucla is my #1, so I would really like to hear back during the first wave of releases. thanks!

@pilgrim:

If Engineering was your 1st choice major, then you should have selected that as your 1st choice major. The College of Letters and Sciences does not admit by major, so it makes no difference what major you applied for in that college.

I think you misunderstood.

This is from the UCLA website:

**Q: IF I AM NOT ADMITTED UNDER MY FIRST CHOICE MAJOR, WILL UCLA REVIEW ME FOR MY ALTERNATE MAJOR?
A: Within the College of Letters and Science, the major an applicant chooses is not a factor in the review process at the freshman level.
Otherwise, we guarantee review of first-choice majors only.

UCLA does not normally consider the alternate choices of applicants who applied to majors in the other schools (Engineering, Arts, etc.)

@geaston1002 What scholarships are the $25000 for? Asking because son applied for Regents and Alumni.

Quick question. I was offered to apply for UCLA Regents a few weeks ago and was accepted by UCLA today but without any mention of Regents. Can anybody tell me how the Regents application process works?

Thx

@CindyLeuWho I was rejected for film too :frowning: have you heard of anyone that was accepted to TFT?

Decisions out. Daughter rejected. 32 ACT. Choate.

@htdbl2020 Just over $22,000 was listed as an “Out of State Grant” and another $3,000ish was listed as “SHIP”. I don’t know the exact details of them otherwise.

son denied. Received invite and applied for Alumni Scholarship for anyone keeping track

UC SHIP is usually UC Student Health Insurance Plan.

@sbahl08 and @10s4life . . . per your posts 892 & 895…

There has to be a middle ground. Last year UCLA accepted 12,000+ students for a class of 5,920, so 6,300 would be too little, and 18,000 would be way too high.

Could they be targeting a freshman class of 6,300? It could be, but the trend from last year seems to imply that the class would be around the same, ~ 5,900, or maybe a bit smaller because the peak enrollment has passed.

It could be that this is some sort of first wave of admits. Could they take the rest from those who assent to the WL? That’d still be tough.

If you could give us the verbatim text of how they worded things, sbah108, then maybe we can figure it out.

All the best to all admitted; sorry for the rest.

Accepted!!
Major: Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Genetics!!
UW GPA: 4.00 W GPA: 4.28
ACT: 34
Bio subject: 790
Math II: 790
In State, NorCal and super happy!!
Congrats and good luck to everyone else :slight_smile:

@Gumbymom :disappointed:

Do you know if it’s possible to appeal to get into that engineering program once accepted? I planned to double-major in mathematics and computer science and engineering anyway. I also mentioned this plan in my personal insight questions.

If that’s not possible, do you know how soon I would be able to take CSE classes and transfer in to become a full-fledged CSE and math double-major? The ability to double-major (whether it be soon or eventually) is extremely pivotal in determining if I should enroll. :grimace:

Rejected, OOS MA
Top Public School
Major: CS

1550 SAT
800 SAT Chemistry, 800 Math 2

3.74 UW GPA, 4.0 UC UW GPA, 4.4 UC W GPA

Varsity sport, lots of stem EC’s, got into UC San Diego

It says it in the decision letter.

I don’t know where they are finding that number listed. This is what I see:
“You were selected from the largest college applicant pool in the nation—just under 109,000 students applied to UCLA.”

@firmament2x: This year there was 108,837 Freshman applicants. If their acceptance rate is similar to 2019 at around 12%, then they would admit around 13,060 admits to achieve around a Freshman class of 6300. If they fall short, then they go to the waitlist.

Rejected as a film, television and digital media major at TFT. Anyone who was accepted wanna share stats, its so hard to find info for TFT online.

but at least I got into Tulane and American University