UCLA Class of 2025 Discussion

Its not and GE’s can be taken really anytime so if your kid can’t get in right away theres 4 years to try and get it. GE’s are standalone.

Thank you

@lkg4answers Thanks - that was helpful -

Thank you. If eating out and going out to party and whatnot during the weekends, would 800-1000 dollars monthly suffice?

That would be more than enough on top of a meal plan unless you are going to expensive concerts/professional sports games/nightclubs, or have an excessive Uber habit. Most people seem to make do with half that amount or less.

1 Like

Thank you @10s4life and @lkg4answers

I’m gonna go with yes.

1 Like

That would even be enough at USC. We need more to cover the uber to all the good restaurants on your side of town. :grin:

1 Like

What are the legal requirements surrounding clubbing in the US?

Thank you for your reply. In Russia the abundance of Uber etc makes the pricing very, very cheap, in comparison to other countries. Do a lot of children from wealthy families attend UCLA because I’m getting the vibe that LA isn’t a cheap place to be.

You have to be age 21.

Yes. a significant proportion of students seem to have fake IDs (in the form of out of state drivers licenses), but there are a whole bunch of unwritten rules about where it is wise or unwise to use them. There are meaningful differences in enforcement between different stores and between different venues. The forgeries are easily detectable by a police officer (and would get you into much more serious trouble) so you would never give a fake ID to a cop if caught with alcohol (and they do have undercover cops at places like the Rose Bowl for football games).

And it is going to be much harder (not to mention more risky in terms of penalties) trying to get away with it for a foreign student, given that the states which are typically used for these IDs have relatively fewer foreigners living there.

A short Uber ride is usually $15-$20 but going across LA or to say Pasadena can run anywhere from $50-$100 depending on traffic. LAX is more like $30-$45. Buses are much cheaper and fine to go to the beach (30-40 mins), but it can take 90 mins or more to get to downtown.

A lot of students stay within Westwood most weeks. Ubers vary in price depending on how busy it is and how far you’re going. Using a fake ID is something you’ll have to decide for yourself, bars will need to see some sort of ID showing you are 21+

1 Like

Thank you to everyone for the replies. The fake-ID culture is also prevalent among the Russian youth, however the laws are much more lenient and law isn’t enforced as effectively as it could be, and I gather clubbing will be much more difficult. At school (UCLA) parties, are the laws of similar vigour?

I noticed on the map that regions surrounding UCLA look pretty high-end; going out to eat in places the likes of Rodeo Drive, Bel-Air etc is probably really expensive. I gather that there are in-school canteens, but do students ever go out to eat (Rodeo or not i.e. maybe some fast-food chains or affordable cuisine nearby)?

Thank you!

Your first year you’ll be in the dorms most likely and the dining halls are fantastic. For outside food most go to Westwood. Chipotle, in n out, chic fil a, and cava are all popular and cheap. Fat sals is open the latest but I would never eat there for a regular meal haha.

Say it ain’t so…toured the campus last Friday - and my daughter and I had a fantastic burger at Fat Sal’s after. Great day all around!

1 Like

Glad you enjoyed it and the campus!

Maybe I should give it another try, my memories are eating Fat Sals in the middle of the night so prob not a fair chance.

Are there past or current UCLA pre med students in this forum who would be willing to share their experiences with us.

hey, I promise I tried reading through the thread to see if anyone had asked first. Are Honors College applications closed (like I missed the deadline) or I saw an announcement on their website saying they were postponing our application process to next year…?