UCLA Class of 2025 Discussion

I second this request.

In particular, how difficult is scheduling so that one stays on track to graduate on time and not have to take summer classes? On one of these threads, someone posted a Daily Bruin op-ed from 2019 about impacted classes (I.e., not enough resources provided by UCLA so there are enough sections to accommodate all the students who need to take them). In that piece, Chemistry and Biochemistry was listed as the department with the most impacted courses.

@10s4life Hi, can you elaborate on your proposed “itinerary”. My wife and daughter are walking UCLA this weekend, and I like the idea that they can do the typical student trek from the dorms to main campus. I find Westwood apartments at 415 and 501 Gayley Ave. Do one of these buildings have an untended parking lot? Is it a surface lot? Do students living most proximal to Gayley actually walk down that avenue?

@Mickman
There’s usually street parking by the apartment complex called atrium. I’d park there. Then walk to the strathmore and gayley intersection. Cross it and go left which you’ll pass the Bradley international center and eventually hit a crosswalk by Deneve plaza to campus. Hang a left and explore the hill which is where the dorms are.

After the dorms go back to the deneve crosswalk and go down the hill by the tennis center and track stadium to UCLA campus on Bruin walk. From there I’d explore most of campus. A campus map can help. Jann’s steps and Royce r must sees. Janns had a lot of people out too.

When u finish go back to the strath and gayley crosswalk and instead of going to your car, walk towards in n out in Westwood. I’d walk around Westwood there to get a feel. If you started in the morning u can grab lunch in Westwood. I’d go to Barney’s or broxton brewery. They actually have decent food. There’s also Ami for Japanese and CPK if you want pizza or pasta.

Most apartment students will go through strathmore and gayley. I crossed it every day for two years. Hopefully this helps

1 Like

I am not sure tbh. I’d email UCLA to find out. But I am a big opponent of the honors college. It’s a waste imo

It’s very easy. The only people who really don’t graduate on time switched majors too many times or too late or failed a bunch of classes. Most majors r so short that not taking “major” classes right away has no negative affect.

FYI, You have a good chance of being towed if you park at an apartment building’s lot.

1 Like

@10s4life If current engineering doesn’t work out, you may want to apply to WAZE with those mad skills.

2 Likes

We went last week. Parked on the street (free) at Westwood Palm Apartments. This is near the dorms

My son has officially committed to UCLA today! So happy for him!

We are from the Bay Area and covered under Kaiser for medical insurance. Does UCLA accept Kaiser coverage? I don’t see it listed as a covered provider, but I would like to double-check. If not, does it mean that we should switch insurance for next year to make sure he is covered under our employer insurance to avoid the extra fee?

3 Likes

Kaiser would work for waiving UC ship. The only thing is the closest Kaiser is kind of a far Uber ride. I had Kaiser my freshman year before we switched to a PPO. My parents bought UC ship for me too so I could use the Arthur Ashe health center on campus. That doesn’t take outside insurance. And UCLA medical center takes ppo but not Kaiser cause Kaiser is a HMO.

2 Likes

You can keep Kaiser for your son for major medical (and waive UCSHIP) and then get him Bruin Care for $60 a quarter for primary care visits etc on campus.
https://www.studenthealth.ucla.edu/insurance/bruincare

4 Likes

This is so helpful! Thank you both so much!! @ 10s4life & jntwinmama

Just checked - roughly 8 miles from the nearest Kaiser - not too bad

8 miles but pre Covid it could be a 40 min Uber in the mid afternoon. La is insane

Absolutely hate it coming from the Bay Area - but I heard LA is worse. :weary:

I have a question about APs… I already have credit for AP Lang so submitted a change through the portal saying I wasn’t going to take the AP Lit exam (that was what I was told to do over the phone). When I spoke to someone in the Admissions Office they told me I’m fine. I got a confirmation email that said “We will review your changes in the context of your overall record, and will let you know whether they affect your admission within 15 business days. You may be offered a revised admission contract, or in some cases, your offer of admission may be withdrawn.” Am I ok? I know that they probably have that automated message because that form is primarily used for people who dropped/failed classes, but I’m nervous I’m now going to lose my offer of admission.

You’re fine

It depends on how often your student uses medical services. Kaiser West LA is a large comprehensive Kaiser with a hospital. For piece of mind, the big hub of experts, researchers and specialty care (think Kaiser Oakland) is at Kaiser Los Angeles (aka “Sunset”).

I would also waive UC SHIP but check the fees for services under Bruin Care and compare to the fees you would pay as a student with waived UC SHIP. Either way, they offer a 24/7 Nurse Line Phone Visit at no charge. Would your student use $180 in services (the cost of Bruin Care) at UCLA before taking an Uber to Kaiser?

Northern California Kaiser and Southern California Kaiser are two different systems. Make sure your son is issued a Southern California medical record number. Have him write it on his Kaiser card along with the So Cal appt message center number (833-KP4-CARE). He most likely will not have access to Southern California kp.org so will have to call to schedule appointments. The two systems can access each others records but it isn’t easy and takes a knowledgeable nurse or provider to take the time to do it.

I live in Los Angeles and my older child goes to UC Davis. They have a small satellite Kaiser in Davis but it is only open limited hours M-F with no urgent care. The closest comprehensive Kaiser is in Vacaville, about 20 min away. In typical Davis fashion, his freshman year he got in a bike accident and had to Uber to Vacaville. It was a pain (no pun intended) but he survived. They asked when he last received a tetanus shot and instead of trying to access his So Cal records, they had him call me to find out. Other than that, he does telehealth with his primary at home and orders medications through the mail order pharmacy. One year he used the free counseling services at UC Davis student health and once he scheduled a virtual visit with the Kaiser in Davis. My point is that it really depends on how much your student uses medical services.

4 Likes

There is also a Kaiser Santa Monica satellite clinic. During COVID, Kaiser cut back on hours and services at many satellite clinics. I’ve never been to this one but it might be easier and less daunting for a student.

@bruins2025 You are 100% ok. You submitted the test plan updates to them (and they confirmed they got it), you didn’t drop the class you said you were going to take. Just stay in good academic standing and you’re good.

On another topic. I’m sure this has been discussed many times before but I can’t find the info. My daughter might want to try and find a roommate rather than go random. Is there a legit, social media site for finding on campus, UCLA roommates? Thanks!!