UCLA Class of 2025 Discussion

At UCLA AP credits can be used to count towards units for graduating. For ex you need 182 units and if you’re short but otherwise met the major requirements for graduation you can use AP units to get there. All GE courses need to be taken at UCLA. The charts will show what classes an AP course will count for but it only applies for major required classes. So if your major doesn’t require Econ then your AP Econ score won’t do anything despite counting for either Econ 1 or 2 depending if it’s macro or micro on the chart. An Econ major can however use the AP score for that requirement.

Basically AP units don’t do much. And it’s a similar theme across all universities.

AP units also don’t count towards your class registration standing. Only UC units count. So all freshman will register with freshman even if they have “sophomore” standing on MyUCLA. It’s empty units.

If you aren’t taking an AP exam just send them the update. Don’t worry it doesn’t have any bearing on getting rescinded.

3 Likes

Do you have any idea where to find that change form? My kiddo is in the same situation. He’s staying in all 4 AP classes of course, but he’s cancelled 3 of 4 exams. Needs to notify UCLA. I told him to call them tomorrow, so if nothing else I guess they can direct him to the form.

Check his portal. I’ve never had access to the portals but my son suggested that.

1 Like

I was looking at scheduling and how to graduate the earliest possible, to save a year in tuition costs. Clusters seem to be a way to knock out 4 GEs with only three classes. But I wasn’t quite sure on this: if a regular class satisfies two different GE requirements, can it be used for both? For example, if a single class fulfilled both “Literary and Cultural Analysis” and “Historical Analysis”, can it be used for both?

Just in case others are reading and wonder, here’s a follow up on whether or not one can notify UCLA via the portal that they won’t be taking some AP exams: there is indeed a form to submit an update, but it looks like it’s only for more material changes such as withdrawing from a course that you reported on your application or some such. Since my son is still taking all 4 of his AP classes and only needs to report that he’s not taking some of the actual AP exams, he’s going to go ahead and call to ask how he should convey that information. The form in the portal doesn’t seem like a match for that. I’ll report back what he learns!

2 Likes

No only 1 or the other.

does anyone know when waitlist decisions come out?

My son took a cluster and it definitely helped him graduate early. He is saving his fourth year tuition for law school, hopefully at UCLA, too!!

correction… is helping
he’s graduating this June!

guys idk if this has already been addressed but has the housing deadline been announced yet??

Hey! About when did you guys receive your acceptance packages in the mail?

My OOS daughter committed to UCLA yesterday evening. She and my wife made an unofficial visit to campus last weekend (as well as to UCSB and UCSD). They walked over 10 miles that day checking the dorms, science buildings and Westwood. Daughter had been considering Northeastern and said that if they had not made the visit, she likely would have chosen NU.

Actually, they reported their preference as the UCLA campus, located near the beach like UCSB, but the beaches were those at UCSD!

Thanks to those who have contributed to this forum, providing information and advice.

6 Likes

Congratulations on the decision! I was wondering how the trip went. Glad to hear your daughter will join my son and the rest of the freshman class next year.

1 Like

Glad to hear it went well! And welcome to
UCLA! Your daughter will love it.

Hi! I was hoping you might be able to answer a question about the student email addresses. When my daughter signed up for her email the extension automatically populated and created the email with… @g.ucla.edu. But in some of the settings the “g” is missing. Does you know what the standard/correct email extension should be? We just want to make sure she is not missing any emails if the main distribution list goes to @ucla.edu. Thank you!

You can use the email with the g and without the g. It goes to the same spot.