UCLA Class of 2025 Discussion

Thanks!

Did anyone else receive the “UCLA is within your reach” cost of attending/ affordability email today? - just curious… :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Yes, my daughter received it.

yup, got it.

Soooo thankful it was an email… if that had of been a large white envelope in the mail box! :flushed:

3 Likes

Yes…assumed it was a reminder to do FAFSA

Anyone think Regent invites will come out tomorrow?

Hopefully but I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re a little delayed due to an increase in applications.

Yup. Standard email.

1 Like

My son received the Supplemental Question from [UCLA] The first question they ask is to expand on his extraordinary talent skill or academic achievement. The second question is asking to talk about special circumstances that affected his grades.
For the first question he does not have an individual talent but was a member of his school’s Marching Band that won its regional championship three years running. While not individual it was a very demanding program that he can discuss at length.
The second question will discuss a family issue that significantly disrupted his academic performance but he overcame bringing his grades back to A’s.
Is one of the questions for important than the other? I have read that some people do not answer them or answer only one. In my opinion the answer to the second question is more important. Should he answer both in light of the fact that his extraordinary achievement is not an individual accomplishment but a group/team effort?

My son received the Supplemental Question from [UCLA] The first question they ask is to expand on his extraordinary talent skill or academic achievement. The second question is asking to talk about special circumstances that affected his grades.
For the first question he does not have an individual talent but was a member of his school’s Marching Band that won its regional championship three years running. While not individual it was a very demanding program that he can discuss at length.
The second question will discuss a family issue that significantly disrupted his academic performance but he overcame bringing his grades back to A’s.
Is one of the questions for important than the other? I have read that some people do not answer them or answer only one. In my opinion the answer to the second question is more important. Should he answer both in light of the fact that his extraordinary achievement is not an individual accomplishment but a group/team effort?

You mean Recently received an email? Or are those the questions for the UC Application? We got nothing here to answer additional questions from UCLA.

are all the students receiving the supplemental questions domestic kids?

Only about 6% of applicants may get the supplemental review.

augmented-review-policy-2017.pdf (universityofcalifornia.edu)

1 Like

So is it good to get the email? Does it mean UCLA is interested in you as opposed to not getting the email? The questions sound just like the ones on the UC Application so if we get the email to answer them are we supposed to pick a different talent to write about or is it okay to write another essay about a talent we already spoke to on the application.

@ehk123: Yes, it is good to get the email since UCLA is interested in finding out more about your situation, but it still does not guarantee an acceptance. I believe that since test scores are not being used this admission cycle, they are focusing in on applicant’s with a more holistic approach this year. With an increase in UC application numbers, I am sure there are many applicants that would have not normally applied if test scores were a consideration.

Here are my thoughts on the supplemental:

1. They want to know more about your son which is always good as that means he is still being considered.
  2. If they are referring to the extraordinary talent/skill, and hardship, I am assuming your son wrote about these topics in 2 of his essays (if not, how would they know about his hardship or extraordinary talent)?. So it would make sense to expand on the topics. For the band example, if it were my son, I would ask him to focus on how he contributed to their overall success, and any lessons learned about himself and the team, his personal growth, dynamics of how teamwork can help achieve success etc. since it is not his individual achievement, I think it is important to discuss both his contribution and the team as a whole.
  3. on the hardship, he may want to focus on the impact on him, and how he overcame, what he learned, what he is most proud of (rather than delve into the situation too much, though some details is probably ok). This is just what I would ask my son to focus on and hopefully you will get other viewpoints. I would also ask his high school counselor for guidance. Good luck!

Just got an email for UC San Diego with just one question “ Are there any personal circumstances that have significantly impacted your ability to achieve academically? This includes, but is not limited to matters such as employment, family responsibilities, illness or school environment.
If yes, how have you tried to overcome these circumstances and how has the experience prepared you to overcome any personal challenges that might occur if you were a student at UC San Diego?”

I was injured my Freshman year and also got really sick so I can write to that, but any suggestions how to speak to the last part of the question?

I guess nothing today :frowning:

Theater Interview emails came out today. My daughter got an email with a link to schedule an interview not an audition. Anyone know if they also do auditions after this round of interviews?

4 Likes