UCLA Class of 2025 Discussion

@temeculapops Sure thing and best of luck to your kid.

1 Like

My son already applied for alum scholarship. Tonight, regents scholarship popped up as a “recommended opportunity” in scholarship portal (as opposed to regular list of scholarship opportunities). But when you click on apply button, while takes you to page where you can start application essay & save it, you cannot submit it. You need an email with a code for that. Did you get email w/a submission code?

Does anyone know if the Regents is only for the grade/test scoring high achievers? Is it ever made available for other talents such as dancing or singing?

@jazz54 No, my son neither received a code, nor an email invitation to apply for Regents. He sees the same thing you are describing… the ability to click on the application but he cannot go further.

Same for my son. And no email.

1 Like

What a weird date for the Regent’s deadline. And if they hypothetically don’t send out Regent’s invites until this Friday (like history shows) then it is a very short timeline. Hmm

2 Likes

@NewParentCA The criteria is the top 1-2% of applicants are invited. There are very few regents scholars within the student population. Unfortunately that “top” typically means grades and test scores as that makes up the majority of the weighting for the application. Other factors play a more minor role.

1 Like

So - he sees it as a “recommended opportunity”?

Since UC is sat test blind this year, do they only look at gpa when consider regent?

@jazz54 If the applicant has not received an email to apply for regents then they can disregard any reference in the portal.

@Peter2025 That is a good question. Since the UC’s are test blind the “formula” and weightings have obviously changed which are a closely held secret by the universities. It is anyone’s guess on what they used to fill the void left by the removal of test scores. My guess is the uncapped weighted GPA got a boost in weighting plus a little more of the EC’s.

thanks - though one would wish that it not pop up as “a recommended opportunity” a few days before email invites go out, unless student were going to get the invite…

Thanks. Our school has letter grade for 2nd semester of 11th grade, some other schools used pass/ not pass due to COVID. Will UC decide to skip 2nd semester 11th grade?

Pls let us know if anyone receives the regents email, I’m assuming it should arrive by this Friday along with UCB regents.

Our school employs the trimester system, and usually they don’t offer AP classes in the third tri. The third tri is allocated for AP seminars and A is counted as 4.0 instead of 5.0. So usually their GPA dip every third trimester. While we see many kids from other schools have 4.4, 4.5 GPA, it doesn’t happen frequently unless kids start taking AP from Freshman year. So I guess it’s hard to get the consideration for Regent scholarship for those kids who attend the trimester system, I guess.

1 Like

Last year the same thing happened. The alumni letter went out and the Regents scholarship was accessible but one could not submit without the personal code. The deadline looked like it was just around the corner but when they sent the Regents invites out they changed the deadline.

4 Likes

Did he have to fill out the “general application” before being allowed to apply for the alumni scholarship? D21 is complaining about the length of the “general app” which, she says, includes another 500-word essay? And all this on top of the two extra essays I know the alum scholarship requires!

For the scholarships, does anyone know when the general application part is due? Is it also March 5?

Same re Regents popping up as recommended opportunity. Although my daughter hasn’t yet submitted the alumni application.

My understanding is that they evaluate each student for admission within the context of what is offered at their school. I am sure it is the same here.