UCLA Class of 2025 Waitlist Discussion

Yes!! This thread is full of incredibly nice and helpful people. Here’s to hoping we make it in!!

5 Likes

I do hope the reason that Ucla hasn’t released anything is because they are still reviewing applications. With that being said, UCSB most likely gave out more waitlist spots and has been accepting people off the waitlist for a while. It’s hard to comprehend that a school would still be waiting to release waitlist acceptances especially as they know their yield and would want to fill up their class as soon as possible. Good luck everyone!

4 Likes

My friend said he attended a workshop for UCLA and they mentioned that everything is being delayed and specifically mentioned that admission office is overwhelmed with waitlist applications. Probably expect decisions mid-may at this rate.

5 Likes

ok thats at least not bad news :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

UCSB is less selective, so that must be factored in as well

2 Likes

Look at what UCLA says in their FAQ. I’m
Just doing the math off their quotes.

How many students are on the waitlist?

We initially offer the waitlist option to approximately 5-10% of our pool in a given year, although since not all students opt-in, we do not know how many students will accept our waitlist offer. We will release our waitlist statistics after the freshman class has been filled.
With 140,000 applications that’s 7,000-14,000 waitlists. So let’s say half opt in. That’s still 3500-7000.

What are my chances of being admitted to UCLA from the waitlist?

That’s impossible to predict. It depends on several factors including how many applicants opt-in to the waitlist option and how many admitted students commit to enroll at UCLA by the May 1st deadline. Last summer (2020) was quite unpredictable due to COVID-19, so our waitlist process was more active than usual. However, historically between 200-400 students have been offered admission from the waitlist in a given year. We notify students as early as possible after May 1st, and we will update students throughout the summer.

So of opt ins it’s between 2.8 and 11%. This is direct from UCLA.

1 Like

last year 9254 opted into the waitlist and 1779 were admitted. I honestly dont know where they get the “200-400” number but it doesnt seem to be entirely accurate.

3 Likes

UCLA uses the worst-case scenarios but looking at the past two years there was no time the % was that low. It’s better for them to underpromise than overpromise just like how when you contact them they would say decisions will be release by July (worst case scenario).

5 Likes

so if they’re reviewing that means that there are spots that have to be filled up using the waitlist right…

10 Likes

Yep! thank goodness

2 Likes

yes, it’s just a matter of how many… and when they’re going to release decisions… i really hope it’s soon but i feel like it’ll be next week which is so long from now :confused:

3 Likes

LOL :joy: :sob:

1 Like

it was because of gap years and COVID

1 Like

does anyone have an idea of what yield could look like this year?

3 Likes

zero clue but ik other schools have already started taking off waitlists, like Vanderbilt and UCSB

2 Likes

princeton, uchicago, ucsd, and others as well

1 Like

Really? I haven’t heard of any waves for ucsd so far

1 Like

i’m in state and at my school, about half of the students accepted are committed. very similar to previous years. i’m sure we’ll see some movement at some point, it’s just concerning that it’s taking longer than usual for whatever reason

2 Likes

my friend got off on the 30th for engineering. i heard that it was a small wave though. duke also started taking off ppl.

1 Like

So no one for L&S yet?

1 Like