UCLA Class of 2027 Official Thread

I still don’t think it makes a lick of difference. Perhaps someone with more detailed info on the process can clarify, but I don’t think having ELC vs State is going to be the deciding factor on an acceptance. I suppose ELC can be particularly helpful to admissions officers if they are unfamiliar with the high school, but the school profile should also clarify average GPA, etc. and help them gauge where an applicant falls within the context of their school. Obviously if their GPA is well above the average GPA on their school profile, that will look very competitive, even if not officially ELC (or perhaps designated as state rather than elc).

1 Like

I think our school might have skipped defining ELC this past cycle. I’m almost positive my daughter would have it (same HS as your son, right?), and hers also only shows statewide eligibility. There was a weird thing at the end of sophomore year where we got a letter from the CCC asking if we gave permission to share her transcript for UC to determine the new gpa cutoffs, and she was likely in the top 9%, but then the CCC emailed back and said “oops, that was meant for juniors, not sophomores – please ignore.” And after that we never heard anything else (yet she had even more rigor and only A’s the next year). So I feel like maybe the school didn’t participate, I don’t know. I’m not too worried about it.

Yes, I think I remember a mysterious letter like that as well. Since he is our first kid, we had NO idea about college admissions and didn’t pay a lot of attention at that time :slight_smile:

I agree that maybe our school didn’t participate this year. And on the other hand, there are so many strong students at our school and so many who end up attending top schools each year, that I wouldn’t be surprised at all if my son isn’t in the top 9%. The school doesn’t rank so we have no way to know.

Anyway… it is what it is, so there is no sense worrying!

2 Likes

ELC acceptance rates were about 29% at UCLA in Fall 2020 when the overall acceptance rates were in single digits. So I would say ELC status is a big help but not sufficient in itself to get admitted.

3 Likes

But ELC is also a function of high GPA which would increase chances for admission…So is it possible to say that it was the designated status or the GPA that led to the designated status?

1 Like

Big correlation there but if you are not ELC then it’s a big disadvantage to overcome.

2 Likes

Not the ELC, per say. Students who get ELC status tend to have higher GPAs, which results in higher rates of acceptance.

The GPA. From what I’ve heard, the ELC status isn’t particularly valued. I, for example, do not have ELC even though my uncapped UC GPA is 4.8 and unweighted is 4.0. The UCs use capped for ELC calculation, so after a point in time my AP/Honors and DE classes started tanking my capped gpa :rofl:

1 Like

That is my guess, too - although I do not know that for a fact. I mean, my daughter has ELC so I would love for it to be a big factor in admissions decisions…But I truly doubt that it is. I think it’s really more about high GPA/rigor - and if you have those, you are more likely to be ELC; and if you have those and for whatever aren’t ELC, I doubt it affects you negatively at all. But again, this is just my speculation.

Can we move away from the ELC discussion please. Yes, ELC is helpful but only 1 of 13 areas of the UC comprehensive review. If you wish to continue the discussion, I suggest you start a new discussion thread in the UC General Forum. BTW, there is a ELC discussion started March 2022: http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/t/uc-local-and-statewide-elc-eligibility/

This is my last comment in regards to ELC:

The Local ELC evaluation will use a fully weighted GPA that includes all honors points earned according to the UC Quick Reference guide.

Statewide ELC uses the A-G course totals and UC Capped weighted GPA. A-G course totals include all completed courses 9-11th plus in-progress 12th grade courses.

7 Likes

Any idea when OOS applicants hear? We are not holding our breath but my son does have good stats it’s a lottery as so many kids apply and most have amazing applications and grades ! Good Luck to all

2 Likes

All applicants will hear in March historically the 3rd Friday of the month.

5 Likes

Yes also in the Bay Area. S23 is about 20-25th percentile of his class but eligible statewide due to taking 3 UC courses in middle school (Algebra 1, Geometry and Spanish 1) and 6 every year in HS. With 54 UC eligible semesters he only needed a 3.9W GPA. And he would also have qualified under the old standards that used SAT score instead of the number of courses.

1 Like

does anyone know if pre-business economics at UCLA is a high-demand major, and if it’s very competitive? i forgot, oops.

1 Like

These are the most impacted majors at UCLA for Freshman that are in the College of Letters and Science which does not admit by major.

• UCLA
    • Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, Economics, Biology
2 Likes

great, thank you!

Does anyone know if Bioengineering is a high-demand major, and if it’s very competitive? In the past school year, enrollment in engineering majors has, on average, increased percent for female students. Is that still true?

All majors in the College of Engineering are competitive. Bioengineering had a 6.4% admit rate for 2022. 60.4% of enrolled students in Bioengineering are Female.

1 Like

@Gumbymom do you have a list or source for majors and their admit rate?

When I researched last year, I found a lot of good info on the department websites themselves. As an example, I was interested in Computer Engineering for my S22 so we scoured the ECE department website and found their annual report that included admission stats by majors within the department. See below - perhaps you can try the same for your major of interest unless @gumbymom works a miracle.

Another option might be look at the Berkeley COE admit rates by major (which is posted on the Cal 2027 thread) since its the closest peer school within the UC system and get a sense, granted the schools are not identical.

https://www.ucla-ece-report.com/2021-2022/overview

1 Like