UCLA Class of 2027 Official Thread

Statewide Guarantee

UC no longer considers SAT or ACT test scores as a factor in admissions decisions. In light of this change, we’ve revised the index we use to determine eligibility for the statewide guarantee, effective fall 2022. The updated Statewide Index will continue to identify California-resident students in the top 9 percent of California high school graduates and offer these students a guaranteed space at a UC campus, if space is available.

How will UC determine which students are in the top 9% statewide?

We use a formula called the Statewide Index to determine which students are in the top 9% of California high school graduates. The updated Statewide Index considers your A-G course totals and your UC GPA. We count your total number of UC-approved A-G courses completed and in progress/planned in 9th-12th grade and calculate your UC GPA using the A-G courses you completed between the summer following 9th grade and the summer following 11th grade. If your total number of A-G courses is equal to or greater than the number of A-G courses listed in the index for your GPA, then you’re in the top 9%

2 Likes

Thank you! It’s just that the comprehensive criteria only mentions ELC, not statewide guarantee: “Identification by UC as being ranked in the top 9 percent of your high school class at the end of your junior year ([Eligible in the Local Context]”. That’s why I was curious if statewide guarantee is considered equivalent but seems like it’s not?

Each UC has their own system of evaluating applications.

The Eligible in the Local Context (ELC) pathway is determined strictly by an applicant’s GPA in comparison to the GPAs of other students at their high school. The Statewide Index is separate from ELC and is one of two pathways available for California residents to secure a guarantee of admission.

Statewide Guarantee

1 Like

Is there a way to find out if you are in the top 9% of statewide index?

Here is link for the calculation which was already posted by @lkg4answers

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/admission-requirements/freshman-requirements/california-residents/statewide-guarantee/admissions-index-instructions.html

2 Likes

If you have already applied, you can log in to your UC Application, scroll down to the bottom and click on “View how your application is reviewed.”

1 Like

So if you are ELC you are not necessarily part of 9% state wide index?

1 Like

It shows ELC
You rank in the top 9 percent of your graduating class according to UC calculations. We refer to this as “Eligibility in the Local Context” or ELC. If you meet the minimum admission requirements and aren’t admitted to any UC campus to which you applied, you will be offered a spot at another campus if space is available. For more information about ELC, visit the "Local Path"opens in new tab page on UC’s admission website.

1 Like

Doesnt mention state wide index in my UC app.

You only need one, though - having the second designation makes no practical difference. Either one gets you the admission guarantee. Having both wouldn’t get you any additional guarantees or offers of admission.

2 Likes

Same for my son, he’s ELC but doesn’t mention statewide.

1 Like

Interesting! My son’s app only shows statewide, not ELC.

Maybe the app only displays one of these, and if the kid has ELC, it doesn’t show statewide?

I guess statewide 9% is more difficult to achieve then top 9% of your high school. So good for him I guess.

1 Like

Mine doesnt show statewide.

That’s going to depend on the high school. We are in the Bay Area and there are a lot of ambitious high-achieving students at our high school. I would guess that the top 9% have pretty high stats.

4 Likes

100% agree. Class size also matters - 9% of class size 200 versus 9% of class size 800.

1 Like

my son’s portal only shows ELC.

And beyond that, it is closer to comparing apples to apples by accounting for grade inflation/deflation which is very school dependent, opportunities to take certain classes and the grading scale of those classes which can vary between districts throughout the states, etc. So I think ELC in a sense provides a more meaningful comparison.

But again, it makes pretty much zero difference which one you get - they both you give you the same admissions guarantee. In that sense, one is not better or worse than the other, and there is no need to have both designations. In fact, I don’t think I’ve heard of anyone being given both designations - I think they just give you the first one you qualify for and stop at that, because there is no need to determine both.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s the admission guarantee the previous poster was asking about, it’s the 13 points of admission criteria considered in the application.

1 Like