UCLA Class of 2027 Official Thread

Any day is possible, but it’s likely to be this week because the Alumni Scholarship volunteers are tentatively scheduled to start reading the applications on Saturday, March 18th, and their volunteer training said that the 17th was UCLA’s target date.

18 Likes

Is the invitation for Alumni Scholarship sent to all applicants? My student got an email about it but missed applying for it, hope it wont be misconstrued as lack of interest??

2 Likes

Open to anyone, separate from admissions. The alumni scholarship team doesn’t see the list of students until the admissions decisions are already made.

4 Likes

This is what mine looks like.

1 Like

Supplemental questionnaire? How many people were asked to do that and why?

Don’t worry at all. When I got the AS email, I was so burnt out from writing essays that I completely ignored it. Lo and behold, I’m now in my first year here at UCLA and am loving it.

7 Likes

We didn’t get it either.

1 Like

what is that supplemental questionnaire?

2 Likes

Only a small percentage of students receive the supplemental questionnaire.

UC’s are able to target about 15% of Freshman applicants for a supplemental/augmented review.

Here are the five specific conditions under which an applicant might be selected
for an augmented/supplemental review.

 Evidence of focus on an area of special talent which may have limited a student’s
time to participate in a broader range of activities.
 Evidence of character traits that imply a strong likelihood of making a significant
contribution to campus life.
 Evidence of significant academic achievement or the potential for academic
achievement at the University in spite of extraordinary or compound
disadvantage or learning difference, or physical disability or other unusual
circumstances.
 Evidence of significant improvement in the academic record accompanied by one
or both of the following: reasons for the initial poor performance; and/or sustained
and in-depth participation in educational outreach programs, which demonstrate
the applicant’s commitment to succeed academically within a challenging
environment.
 Evidence of relative lack of access to, counseling about, or support to take
college preparatory, honors, Advanced Placement (AP) or International
Baccalaureate (IB) classes or required college entrance examinations.

5 Likes

My understanding from Reddit (and a bit from my brother who’s a freshman at UCLA) is that the supplemental questionnaire serves 2 purposes. 1) To allow applicants to expand on hardships or extenuating circumstances they include in their applications or through their essays. Like all UC’s, UCLA takes these very seriously and they wish to understand thoroughly how this has impacted a candidate. 2) (And the more speculative reason) Is to allow borderline stat candidates the opportunity to tell the school more about themselves. According to my bro, a few of his friends got this last year because they had lower stats but amazing essays or vice versa. Take all of that with a grain of salt, but it makes sense to me…

4 Likes

yes for nursing

Was your daughter given a supplemental questionnaire?

the extra supplemental questions is neither a good or a bad thing. it’s mainly for borderline applicants…it could be a bad thing bc these ppl weren’t auto-accepts/their apps didn’t have enough info to be an accept, but it could also be a good thing bc they also weren’t auto-rejects. most ppl ik who got these had some significant drop in grades or some illness, so these questions allow them to expand more on those unusual circumstances too

2 Likes

I believe the supplemental question/essay is for all nursing applicants

1 Like

Some UCLA programs such as Nursing, Architecture, Theater/Film have supplementals also. There is the augmented review and the supplementals for specific major programs.

2 Likes

FWIW, my daughter is a Nursing applicant and we never got the SQ.

1 Like

The supplemental is part of the application process for UCLA Nursing.

School of Nursing Supplemental Application — All applicants must submit the appropriate online UCLA School of Nursing Supplemental Application which includes a Statement of Purpose, Resume and two Recommendation Forms by January 15.

The School of Nursing Supplemental application will be available online this fall at https://apply.nursing.ucla.edu

5 Likes

I stand corrected. I guess she did get this sometime ago. And it is a req for all School of Nursing applicants. Thanks again Gumbymom!

1 Like

I believe that the nursing supplemental Applications is different from the supplemental questionnaire

6 Likes

Correct. The supplemental questionnaire or augmented review is utilized by several UC campuses. Nursing supplemental is specific to UCLA as part of their application process.

https://regents.universityofcalifornia.edu/governance/policies/2110.html

1 Like