UCLA Class of 2027 Official Thread

Not true.

• Each UC campus evaluates each application without knowing the status of the same application at another campus. In making admission decisions, campuses do not consider where you’ve applied or your admission status to other campuses. All campuses consider your application simultaneously, yet independently of all other campuses you applied to.
2 Likes

Definitely not true we know several kids over the last 2 years accepted to both.

2 Likes

Same—we know many who had to make the Berkeley vs UCLA decision. As well as many who got into one and not the other, like my D22. She was rejected at Berkeley and accepted at UCLA and UCSB (the only UCs she applied to).

D23 just got an invite to apply for the Alumni scholarship. Does everyone who applies gets this invite?

2 Likes

I think so. We got it too.

I’ve followed this back and forth debate for a couple of years, and nobody really knows, but the general trend seems to be that recently they send it to more applicants than they used to. So while 5 or 6 years ago it might have been a “good” sign to get the invitation and somewhat correlated to a decent chance of acceptance, at this point I don’t think one can read too much into it. Probably sent to a broad swath of applicants, if not all. My daughter got it too today. Her older brother also got the email two years ago and then did get in (but didn’t apply for the scholarship!). He’s now a second year at UCLA.

thanks. D23 got email on Alumni today too.

Anyone know if invites for Regents scholarship come out soon (or already came out!) More selective, of course, and probably better correlation to future admission.

2 Likes

For several years, Regents candidates were invited to apply for the scholarship in early Feb. Last year, candidates were invited to apply for the scholarship on March 21. I haven’t seen anyone post about it this year yet.

2 Likes

Regarding the Alumni Scholarship invite posted by an Alumni scholarship parent of a recipient a few years ago. The process may have changed a little but is not indicative of admission to UCLA and the number of invitees has increased over the years. Also you do not need to get an invite to apply.

The vast majority of the ~150 awarded the Alumni scholarship get the standard $1500 per year, unless they receive the extra need based aid. There is a shortlisting process for video/phone based interviews (IIRC organized on a regional basis within CA) and then roughly 1 in 3 of those interviewed wins the scholarship.

The award of the scholarship is typically announced in early April and then there is a reception for awardees at Bruin Day. A small number (I think 10-20% of winners) are also invited to compete on campus the next weekend for a higher award amount. There is also a reserve list for runners up, since not all of the original winners will choose to attend UCLA.

The shortlisting process appears to be based primarily on a) did you write an essay that stands out and gets noticed by your reader and b) your community service and similar ECs. It’s different from the Regents scholarship which is based more on pure academic talent (and obviously relies on the original UC application for shortlisting). I understand that some applicants can win both scholarships (and then they stack).

It’s worth noting that the Regents scholarship is vastly more useful as it gives you class and housing priority (and other things like a parking permit), while the Alumni scholarship doesn’t. Nevertheless, a $6000 scholarship is worth applying for and there are some additional benefits, like access to internships, mentoring etc.

The Alumni Association is independent of UCLA admissions. There is only a one way flow of information:

1. UCLA admissions give the Alumni Association a list of some subset of applicants for the invitation email. Then the invitation is sent out and people apply for the Alumni scholarship.

2. After UCLA admissions have announced their admission decisions, they give the Alumni Association a list of admitted students so they can screen out any scholarship applications from those who weren’t admitted before starting to read them.

The only time information goes the other way is when the Alumni Association tell financial aid about the awarded scholarships.

So there is no impact on the admission decision from any Alumni scholarship application. The fact that there may be correlation (depending on how selective UCLA admissions were in compiling the original list for the invitation email) is in no way causation…

6 Likes

I got the email for the alumni scholarship yesterday as well. I’m guessing they send it to everyone since most people here got it too.

Anyone didn’t get alumni scholarship invite?

1 Like

We got the alumni scholarship email too. Did everyone get the email?

1 Like

I didn’t. I’m an international student applying from Canada

1 Like

yes we did.

Yeah, I think the vast majority of applicants receive it.

2 Likes

How do you know?

1 Like

My son got it this week and two years ago my daughter got the same invite. She also later was rejected. So…not giving much sauce to this dish.

10 Likes

Last year, my son did not receive the invite and I agonized for weeks. He was accepted!

7 Likes

I got the alumni scholarship email. 2-3 years ago it was a surefire sign of acceptance, but now I’m not really sure what it means. Either way, its positive news.

1 Like

The only scholarship invite that guarantees admission is Regents, although invites went out last year after Decisions were posted. Previous years, the invites went out prior to Decisions.

The Alumni Scholarship invite pool has steadily increased over the last few years but even when the invite pool was small, admission was not guaranteed but definitely a positive sign in that the applicant is a competitive candidate.

7 Likes