UCLA Class of 2027 Official Thread

good question

1 Like

excellent Q .
My 2 cents , the no. of seats for CS is limited & no. of applicants even within state is much higher hence kids with various Stats / great ECs could be rejected . However these kids will surely get accepted in various great colleges within US
For H1B , there is again the Quota allocated & it is for entire US , so currently even with all US put together , there is shortage hence we need H1Bs.

2 Likes

Just to set the record straight. Were your son’s friends actually denied from UCLA in the morning prior to the UCLA releases at 5 PM?

5 Likes

Daughter got Accepted. OOS. Best wishes to all.

3 Likes

Decision: accepted

Major (and division if applicable) applied to: biomedical engineering

ACADEMIC STATS::
UC Unweighted GPA: 4.0
Weighted GPA: 4.28

Comments about course load (including senior year):

Number of AP courses: 3
Number of IB courses: 12

Major Awards: National essay
SUBJECTIVE::

Extracurriculars: officer medical club. Officer health services. Engineering internship. Soccer-varsity and club.

Job/Work Experience: part time job

Volunteer/Community service: stewardship club

Summer Activities:internship. Summer school every summer

Personal Insight essays (details): reflective.

DEMOGRAPHICS::

State/location of HS (if domestic applicant): Hawaii

Country (if international applicant):

Applied for need-based financial aid? No

First Generation? No

Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/denied:
Accepted. Uc Irvine. Uc San Diego. Cal poly slo. UW. SDSU. UCLA. Uc Davis

5 Likes

OOS S23 accepted for Computer Engg.

6 Likes

D23 Accepted: OOS
Neuroscience major
4.0UW
School does not rank
Will graduate with an AA in General Science as well as HS Diploma
EC: Solid - 3 sport athlete, lots of leadership, 4H club involvement in local community, Junior class VP, Senior Class president, worked in retail, EMT, lifeguard, nonprofit Club co-founder, NHS
Accepted: UCSD, UNC-Chapel Hill, Villanova, Providence, Binghamton (honors), Penn State (honors), Gonzaga, Loyola Chicago, SDSU
Waitlisted: Fordham
Waiting on USC (deferred after EA), UCSB, Berkeley, William & Mary and a few others

2 Likes

D23 was denied admission and did not receive the offer to be added to the waitlist (was waitlisted for UCSD).

So no, not everyone gets waitlist option - lots of rejections, far more than acceptances/waitlists, so congratulations!

3 Likes

My son was waitlisted but has been accepted every else he has applied. Also found out this week that he received a very generous scholarship from UT Austin. So, sending him OOS will cost us less than if he stayed in California! I guess there is a silver lining after all… Hopefully, his mood improves and he realizes how lucky he is :slight_smile:

6 Likes

D waitlisted
Unweighted gpa 4.0, weighted 4.52
major: sociology
in state
lots of ECs
6 APs completed, 4 in progress
ELC Yes

2 Likes

Can totally relate with the frustrations some kiddos are feeling right now

2 Likes

How do I post my sons stats?

Messed up system. I put in so much effort went over and beyond to be wait listed. I don’t understand the holistic nature of the review process. my friend with more B’s and identical EC same HS other profile and for the same major got in while I am wait listed. You cannot dispute. Like the school grades papers they should publish the readers review on the Applicant’s portal so we know where we scored or lost points.

4 Likes

Ucla decisions at 5pm are released for all applicants at the same time? No batch release?

2 Likes

DS accepted Pre-Bus.
4.0/4.9 GPA - 12 APs and 2 DEs. 5-5s 2-4s
Good school leadership in competitive academic clubs, tons of volunteering since 9th grade and won a regional volunteer of year award over other adults and college students; started non-profit that was selected for training and funding from a competitive program. PT job and some other ECs. Overall, good ECs but not as good as many I’ve seen on these boards.

Hard to objectively assess PIQs but he was able to craft a coherent narrative about who he is and what is important to him.

SAT: 1530, NM commended (doesn’t matter for UCs)

Accepted: UCLA, UCI, UCSD, Davis and Indiana-Kelley.
Deferred: USC, Michigan-Ross and Cornell Business (ED)
Rejected: Swarthmore
Waiting: (besides deferred) Brown, Claremont MC, Berkeley, UCSB, Georgetown, WashU and Emory

To all those who feel dejected/disappointed, do not let this define you. I told my DS this process doesn’t define him and he’s no better of a person or worse because he got into or rejected from UCLA. He’s still the same young man.

I was rejected from UCLA decades ago (when it was way easier to get in) and it was my dream school where my sister and cousins attended. I was very depressed even though I wasn’t a very good student in HS. Eventually I transferred in as a junior and took school more seriously but also had a fantastic experience. I met my wife and best friend at UCLA.

I later got into a couple of Ivy prof schools as well as UCLA. Another good friend from HS got rejected from UCLA, went to UCI then med school and is now an ear, nose & throat doctor.

The best boss I ever had that I leaned so much from graduated from a Cal state. I’ve had Ivy grads work for me who were pretty mediocre. After a while in the work place no one cares where you went to college. Those who do peaked in college.

My point is your school doesn’t define you. Only you will.

15 Likes

Yes all decisions posted at once.

1 Like

I hear you… There is always some subjectivity in this process where humans are reading and scoring. That apart, the sheer volume of applicants to the number of seats available is what results in this situation. A good number of folks rejected have high stats and good ECs etc.
It’s not a reflection of who you are… Feel happy for your friend and let go of this decision… looking forward is the only way…

7 Likes

Hi Gumbymom- If a student is waitlisted, are they waitlisted for a specific major? I’m wondering specifically about majors that held auditions.
Thanks!

1 Like

Decision: Accepted
Major applied to: Biology

ACADEMIC STATS::
UC Unweighted GPA: 4.0
Weighted GPA: 4.727

Comments about course load (including senior year):
Number of AP courses/exams (scores in parentheses): 7 AP (5, 4, 4, 3) 3 pending
Number of IB courses/exams (score in parentheses): 0

Bio Med STEM program
Class rank # 3 of 500

SUBJECTIVE::

Extracurriculars: Varsity Baseball, STEM club, school spirit club

Job/Work Experience: none

Volunteer/Community service: yes

DEMOGRAPHICS::

State/location of HS (if domestic applicant): CA , Riverside County

Applied for need-based financial aid? NO

First Generation? NO

Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/denied:

Accepted UCSD, UCI, Chapman, SDSU, CS Monterey Bay, CS San Marcos, La Verne, ASU, SUU, NAU, U of Utah, U of Hawaii, Hawaii Pacific, Point Loma

Denied: Univ of Texas Austin - Biology

1 Like

Created a separate thread to vent about UC decisions here - Vent about UC decisions