UCLA vs. USC Film Transfer: Which do I pick?

Hi!
I am a film student who was just accepted into UCLA’s Film/TV Production program! I am already coming from a top 10 film school (so sad to leave it, I am going to miss it a lot), but UCLA/USC have been my dream schools since I was very young and I was able to apply to transfer (along with personal reasons, but I digress haha). I am so excited to be back in California, however, I am having trouble making the decision between UCLA and USC.

USC decisions are not out yet, however, since UCLA’s commitment date for transfers is June 1 and USC decisions come out on May 31st, I am trying to make this decision ahead of time in case I am also accepted into USC (fingers crossed!). These are the only two schools I applied to for transfer.

What is making this decision difficult is the fantastic education both schools provide. I am trying to work in the animation industry as a director/producer, something that my previous institution was not able to support. UCLA has a great animation program and is very intimate; all professors and students appear to know each other well at TFT. However, USC is known for their fantastic alumni network and opportunities that SCA provides students. I already have a lot of on set experience from my previous institution, and I am fortunate that cost is not something I need to consider in my decision.

I was curious if anyone had any input between the two schools? As a transfer student I found it difficult looking for advice on this website and on Reddit, as most of the cons for UCLA (for example) were that students don’t get their hands on a camera until their junior year. As an incoming junior, I have been assured directly from TFT faculty that all of my classes will be major focused, so that con would not apply to me. Please reply if you know anything that may help me make this decision between the two schools! And if anyone else is in a similar dilemma, don’t be afraid to reply as well haha

Seems clear to me from your post that you want USC. If your only transfer acceptance is from UCLA, then you have your answer. However, if you are accepted to USC, the vast network may be too much to forego.

No bad choices here. UCLA’s Film/TV Production major is the only program worth the OOS fee IMO; it’s that good. But so is USC’s.

Agree with Publisher as to yoru leanings. If you get an offer from them and can afford it, wellcom to the Trojan Family.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.