UCR and UCM focus on serving rural California - Negative Affects on the Remainder?

So my daughter was accepted into UCR/UCM. Both UCR/UCM are a good fit for her as she wants to do try pre-health (med/PA) and UCR in particular has a strong attraction due to their medical school and related programs. But she’s been a bit dissuaded due to some feedback from the University.

In particular she has the perception these two UCs focus on rural and related democgraphics and she won’t be a good fit.

For example, she was excited to find the School of Medicine operated a medical scholars program (https://msp.ucr.edu/). They’ll connect you and help you find internships, volunteering etc. Exactly what she needs, but upon further reading it is only open to first gen and social-disadvantaged students.

I get her concern, there isn’t much of a point being at a school with great opportunities if the opportunities are not available to you.

Thoughts?

D applied to UCM bs/md program knowing that their preference is for SJV residents which was fine. She was rejected as we don’t live there (but we would be willing to move if they preferred D to serve that area after medical school). Did you look into UCM md program? The last I checked there wasn’t much information on their website. D is kind of flexible with her medical school plans. :face_holding_back_tears:

We’re going to their live class option in April. I can’t go but I’m hoping that hubby and D will get some clarity or advice as to whether there could be a preference for their own undergraduate students provided they attain gpa, mcat, clinical and research experience, willingness to stay in SJV (hard to determine this for the school?). I was hoping that if people preferred to go elsewhere for undergrad than UCM, as it seems to be the case, then there could be more opportunities for research and clinical experience.

I know very little about the UC system and the least overwhelming one seems to be UCM. There seems to be barriers with changing majors at others and that makes sense.

D doesn’t care about rankings or perception so it makes it easier to keep an open mind.

Every UC campus has a specialized scholars program for First-Gen/Low-Income/URM kids. I know Berkeley has one for CS and a generalized STEM one called SEED Scholars.

I don’t think these programs existing would negatively affect your daughter’s experience.

2 Likes

I’m not so sure about that. I see the point. Competition for internships, research, LOR etc is fierce as it what makes/breaks a health school application. If one group of kids are given mentoring by faculty and other resources not available to others then that gives them an advantage.

I did look at the UCR program for medical school. We wouldn’t qualify if they are looking for first gen or URM. And I’m not sure we are that competitive in spirit to be vying for a spot. D is just not a competitive person at all. Which is why I think UCM might be more suited for her personality though I really don’t know much about the school vibes either.

Sorry this wasn’t very helpful. I’m also trying to figure out what’s the best for D and I’m thinking UC in general may not be best for her. She is fully engaged in a small setting. By visiting UCM live classes we can get an idea if it’s a typical UC.

My kid did that. You take a general tour, then the kid takes a class then they give you lunch for free! Cool idea, but the kid said the class was highly manufactured and more like a sales pitch! It’s a beautiful new campus in a good awful location !

1 Like

I think the classes in April are real classes, not mock ones. I’m sure though that professors and students are more inclined to be engaged when they see all these wide eyed bushy tail kids dropping by.

I think what you are describing is just a regular tour with the live class option for one hour? Those are done all year long. Nice idea of theirs!

Medically underserved areas (MUAs) or health professional shortage areas (HPSAs) are most common in rural parts of California. So it is not too surprising that there is some attempt to get more physicians who are more likely to want to practice in such areas, rather than aim for dermatology residencies to prepare for going into cosmetic medicine in the rich parts of Orange County.