UC's work experience

On the UC application - activities and awards section, there is a place for “work experience”. Should I put on an entry level restaurant job I had or does that not belong?

@Thimbleeater . . . Again, per typical reply, it can’t hurt. If you were awarded best employee of the month, you should definitely put that down. I think UC is trying to see if you’ve had to add to your family’s income, because the University is big into overcoming difficulty. I wouldn’t worry about it if you didn’t have to work.

All the best.

I did not receive any awards. It didn’t pay very much.

Still include your job regardless of pay since a job is considered a good EC.

@Thimbleeater . . . I wouldn’t worry about it; either include it or not. The University probably also wants to see industriousness: did you occupy your time; i.e., did you put it to good use?

I see people on linkedin who’ve included their stints as baristas and waiters. Let’s see . . . job duties: I cleaned off tables; I made irate customers their lattes, I took out the trash…

Neither is there anything wrong with aspiring to these jobs as a person’s end-all occupation, but I don’t think college is really needed for them.

But these same people who list these server jobs end up being doctors, financial analysts, lawyers, etc. But in the meantime in working up to this, they do whatever they need to do to survive, to pay tuition, to earn some disposable income.

If people include it on their linkedins – they’ll probably remove it down the line – then I don’t see anything wrong with including it on your UC app.

Atb…

I would include any work experience regardless of whether it is considered entry level or management.