UCSB Engineering questions

How many courses is considered to be “normal/typical” of UCSB engineering freshmen? I’m planning on taking Calc 3, Chem 1A, Chem 1A LAB, Writing, Intro to Programming, and probably Art Hist or something. Is that too much?

Most in-coming Freshman want to take between 13-15 units first quarter just to get acclimated to the quarter system. How many units is this schedule? Once you feel comfortable with the quarter system pace, then you take 16-18 units the following quarter. Usually 4 classes are plenty and Chemistry will keep you busy with the lecture and the lab.

For Engineering, I think the normal amount for incoming Freshman is as @Gumbymom says.

From what I remember, most of the classes you listed are 4 units each (with Chem 1A and 1AL equaling 4 units total). This brings your proposed amount to 20 units. That is insane for an incoming freshman, especially if you’ve not acclimated to the quarter system.

I would suggest dropping one of those classes. Art History or Calc 3 seem like the ones to be considered for dropping, in my opinion.

@Gumbymom I believe that the proposed schedule is nearing unit cap (~20, need to consult the general catalogue again).

@NotYetEngineer thanks! Of course, I think that I can spread the humanities and other GEs around to the other quarters. Chem 1A + Chem 1AL = 5 units, and the proposed core classes schedule on the UCSB MechE site has 17 units total. Art Hist is 3 units, I believe.

I wouldn’t put off GEs. If you’re an incoming freshman, then you can afford to take Calc 3 later. Overloading on STEM classes in your first quarter will make it tough for you.

@NotYetEngineer is going to orientation required? Just a question. Otherwise, would the engineering GEs still have higher priority for engineering freshmen (e.g. we get higher chance of getting into all the classes needed)?

Orientation is not required, but heavily recommended since it is normal to have no idea how the class registration/system plays out.

As far as I know, all GEs have equal priority for all years (with the exception of higher units = closer pass time). I’m not sure where the engineering pass times happen, but I’m told they may be earlier than the L&S pass times, so you might have greater chance of getting certain classes.

The engineering curriculum is very prescriptive and the advisers really want everyone to stick to it (going off the plan can cause issues later). The load varies by major. My son’s first semester for ChemE is 17 units, and that’s the standard load for that major first semester.

Read your GEAR catalog (you should have a hard copy or download a pdf); it includes the number of units required for each major and the typical course sequence taken. The recommended course sequence and load does vary. As an example, ChemE and EE require 194 units to graduate. It will be very hard to do that if you take a light load first quarter, as the average units per quarter is 16. You’d have to go higher later, or take summer classes. If the OP had placed out of calc that might be possible, but the OP has not.

One very valuable reason to go to orientation is that the engineering school advisors walk you through all of this stuff. If you aren’t able to go to orientation I would recommend calling the engineering advising office and ask them for help.

@mobius911 I should have clarified earlier: my math situation is that my AP scores are still not released by CB yet (bomb threat at school = all tests were taken on the “late date”). Therefore, I said that I would be taking Calc 3 (I have high confidence that I can place out though).

Assuming I place out of Calc 3, would you recommend that I stick by the proposed quarter schedule outlined by UCSB MechE, or take classes prescribed for the next qtr/semester (e.g. take Physics 1, or Calc 4) in lieu?

I’m a noob at this too (parent on an incoming ChemE), so my knowledge is about as limited as yours! What I do know is that if you place out of the Math 3 sequence there is a separate sequence that has you start immediately in Math 4A. So your schedule is going to be Math 3A or 4A (based on test results), Chem 1A plus the lab, the writing class, and either Engr 3 or a GE elective. The last choice seems to made by the advisers based on space availability. They just assign one or the other to even out the class loads.

They certainly don’t seem to offer choices, and that may be because it would just get too confusing and too hard to keep everyone “on grid”. I don’t know what they would say if you asked to do something different. My guess is that they wouldn’t want anyone to repeat material they already have down cold, and they also don’t want anyone to miss a quarter or two of math for fear of having all the knowledge start leaking out due to lack of use. The advisers did say they don’t like “easing people in” with an easier workload so they may not let you take fewer classes. Good luck!

On the math sequence(s):

@mobius911 @drewcheckmated

You can only get AP credit for Math 3A (AP Calc AB) and Math 3B (AP Calc BC). If you do recieve credit for both, you have to take Math 4A (Linear Algebra) before taking Math 6A (which is the first part of Calc 3). After Math 6A, you can take take Math 6B (second part of Calc 3). Math 4B (differential equations) can be taken after Math 4A.

Once you’re done with Math 6B, you’re done with math pre-reqs, so that’d be the last math class you have to take (unless you decide to take math electives).

@NotYetEngineer is AP credit awarded to engineering majors? Some other unis don’t like using AP scores to waive GEs for engineers, from what I’ve read.

I believe AP credit is awarded for GEs, yes.

For pre-reqs, the only useful AP credit is AP Calc. For GEs, I believe most of them help you skip certain classes, although I’m not too sure.

Try checking the GEAR booklet they released for this year.

Sweet, because the only thing I want is to take more GEs sarc tone