UCSB vs Cal Poly SLo?

Should I go to UCSB for pre-chem(got denied from ChemE) or Cal Poly Slo for CompE?

both schools are very good, which do you prefer and why?

You have very different majors at each school. I would think that would be he main decision in this case. If you definitely want engineering, your choice is easy. The university-owned housing guarantees at UCSB are much better as are the on-campus dining commons, if those are important to you. I would think that you’ll have an easier time getting a CompE related job vs a Chem degree (and better salary). I have a kid who had to decide between different engineering majors at those 2 schools, so the choice was different than you’ll have to make. Even then, a factor in the decision was which major might be more versatile later on.

@youcee may I ask what school did that kid ended up going to?

@youcee may I ask what school did that kid ended up going to?

which school is more prestigious to you? @NCalRent . UCSB was one of my first choice, and Cal Poly Slo was my safety, but as I did more research on Cal poly, turn out, I really this campus, so this is very hard for me…

@Ilovefood2000 UCSB, but who knows what the decision would have been if it was the same major at both schools. Also got a scholarship at UCSB which evened out the costs. Try to go to an admitted students day at both schools, you might know after that. They’re both excellent schools.

ignore anything you are told about the relative prestige of both. They are close enough that it simply doesn’t matter.

We aren’t talking Stanford vs CSU Bakersfield What you study and what you do at the school will matter way more than which of them you graduate from. They will present very different academic environments and the majors are dramatically different.

Think about your experience will be in class and around campus - as well as what you will be studying and choose the one that feels right. Since they aren’t that far apart, I’d encourage you to visit both campuses again. See if you can sit in on a couple of classes. Stop some students and talk to them about their experience and why they chose the school they did. Armed with that, you should be able to confidently make your decision. And just thumb your nose at the people who second guess you.

They type of education is different at the two schools. Explore SLO’s “learn by doing” vs UC research and theory based education.